Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Campden Tablets  (Read 3047 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Campden Tablets
« on: January 12, 2015, 12:05:24 pm »
So I am sure that this has been covered by someone at one time. My beer has been turning out great for the last year since I have been covering all the bases. There has been one that has slipped past me and I want to get to the bottom of it. So when I drink my home brew, some of them when you burp have like a plastic taste. Now from what I have read I think it is the Chlorine in the water. Not having the $$ for a filter I read that Campden tablets work really well. So my question is how many tablets to treat say 10 gallons of water at a time? Is this something that should be done 24 hours or so before I brew? Just don't want anything to happen to the yeast because I think that Campden also kills yeast, which would suck!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Campden Tablets
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 12:15:27 pm »
So I am sure that this has been covered by someone at one time. My beer has been turning out great for the last year since I have been covering all the bases. There has been one that has slipped past me and I want to get to the bottom of it. So when I drink my home brew, some of them when you burp have like a plastic taste. Now from what I have read I think it is the Chlorine in the water. Not having the $$ for a filter I read that Campden tablets work really well. So my question is how many tablets to treat say 10 gallons of water at a time? Is this something that should be done 24 hours or so before I brew? Just don't want anything to happen to the yeast because I think that Campden also kills yeast, which would suck!

1/2 tab will treat 10 gal.  It happens almost instantly, within seconds after you add it.  Crush the tab and stir it in thoroughly.  That amount will have no effect whatsoever on your yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 12:17:21 pm »
Yep.  +1 to what Denny said.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 01:20:22 pm »
You know that feeling of relief? Yeah that just happened. Thanks guys

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 04:49:47 pm »
If you can't get the tablets, then potassium metabisulfate is also sold in the powdered form.  1/16 tsp is more than enough to treat 10 gallons. 

Offline JohnnyC

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 01:59:47 pm »
My water has .90 ppm chlorine. I read in the latest "Water" book by Palmer that sometimes just heating the strike water can remove chlorine. I have not had any off flavors. Do you think heating is sufficient with my levels of chlorine?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 02:12:30 pm »
You need to know the source of the chlorine.  There are two kinds.  One is hypochlorite, and this kind can be removed by boiling.  The other kind is chloramine, and this kind does NOT go away from boiling.  You can contact your municipal water provider to find out which type of chlorination they use and go from there.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 02:12:48 pm »
My water has .90 ppm chlorine. I read in the latest "Water" book by Palmer that sometimes just heating the strike water can remove chlorine. I have not had any off flavors. Do you think heating is sufficient with my levels of chlorine?

Very likely.  Or just letting it sit uncovered overnight.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline JohnnyC

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 02:19:11 pm »
It is not chloramine, verified by contacting the city. I'm toying with drawing my strike/brew water tonight for Saturday brew. Can only help, right? ;)

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 03:30:28 pm »
You are one of the lucky ones.  Chloramine is becoming more and more popular these days.  Hypochlorite is the old way... FWIW, laundry bleach is made of hypochlorite... or at least I believe so.
Dave

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 06:33:06 pm »
Tried boiling it first for one batch. Same thing, going to get the water tested when I move this summer. Haven't ever noticed that plastic burp tasted with my house brown or stout so that's what I will brew until then

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »

Very likely.  Or just letting it sit uncovered overnight.

I tried that with a bucket of my local water and there was no trace of chlorine the next day.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 02:37:53 pm »
Stirring the water can also help speed up the removal (out gassing)  of hypochlorite in your municipal water supply as it sits overnight.  A good check to see if your water is ready to brew with is to put some of the brewing water into a pint glass and vigorously pour it into another pint glass while sticking your nose down into said glass.  If you still smell chlorine then do not brew with it. 

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 05:00:38 pm »
Tried boiling it first for one batch. Same thing, going to get the water tested when I move this summer. Haven't ever noticed that plastic burp tasted with my house brown or stout so that's what I will brew until then
Just throw a crush Camden tablet into the strike water and/or boil water. It'll cover your butt.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article