Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PBW and teflon  (Read 8125 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: PBW and teflon
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 04:43:32 am »

Again, I'd say remove the teflon tape from the inside of the mash tun.  There is simply no need for it.  Then PBW away.
If I removed the tape from the fitting wouldn't this affect the water tight seal?
IF any wort made it through there, it would end up in your boil kettle, which is where you want it.  The risk of losing suction from that point is negated by the lbs of wet grain you have compacted on top of that fitting through the lautering process.  I screw mine in finger tight, no tape.  Never lost suction yet and it allows for easy removal for cleaning. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 05:17:31 am »

I'd still go with what Five Star is telling you.  In the same cleaning podcast I've posted before, Jon from Five Star talks about PBW and teflon tape.  His answer was the same as the one you received from Five Star today.    http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/Brew-Strong/Brew-Strong-11-10-08-Cleaning

Edit: I see this link was also provided in the aussie link.
Good audio...he did mention it would break down the tape over very long periods, weeks, months etc.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 05:28:05 am »
You guys are really over-thinking this.  Teflon tape and teflon coating are entirely different subjects.  The tape is there to seal the threads.  What little you see on the visible portion of the threads is doing you no harm or good.  It's the tape that you cannot see that is working on your behalf to seal the threads.  Subsequently, since it is on the part that you can't see it also is not coming into contact with almost all of the fluids.  So it doesn't make any difference if you use PBW on it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:53:35 pm by jeffy »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 06:39:56 am »
For my money, PBW is just too much. I have good success with oxyclean free.

Im trying to figure out why there is teflon tape inside a kettle. Those fittings don't need to be that tight. I use it on any fittings outside the kettle and primarily to keep stainless on stainless threads from galling.

Jim, the tape is in my Rubbermaid MT from Morebeer. Perhaps they want to ensure I taste Teflon in my beer?  :D

Teflon in question....

Justin,
You dont need tape on that fitting. Just tighten it finger tight. You also dont need the hose clamps if they become a pain to deal with, just don't be a spaz and knock the hose loose when you are stirring and you'll be fine.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
PBW and teflon
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 06:41:06 am »
Jim, I took everything apart (got to know my valve very well) and took the tape off along with the metal clamps. Of course there is still teflon within the 2 way valve, but c'mon already! I can't imagine PBW is destroying teflon tape in valves like that!!!

Anywhoo, I've got to water test it later today. If it leaks Jim, please send me a new MT  ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 02:09:15 pm by flbrewer »

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 04:17:30 pm »
Thanks for the messages everyone. I went ahead and removed the teflon that was exposed inside of the mash tun on the valve (didn't need it there anyways).

What strikes me as odd is that anyone using a 2 way ball valve has teflon tape on the valve somewhere. Whether it's on the boil kettle, MT, etc. there is going to be a time where they are using PBW for a period of time.

Why the heck would 5 Star not realize this, or perhaps they only meant teflon coated cookware. If that's the case, they should remove that warning from a homebrew product which people wouldn't be using for cookware anyways. My .02.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 05:35:29 pm »
Thanks for the messages everyone. I went ahead and removed the teflon that was exposed inside of the mash tun on the valve (didn't need it there anyways).

What strikes me as odd is that anyone using a 2 way ball valve has teflon tape on the valve somewhere. Whether it's on the boil kettle, MT, etc. there is going to be a time where they are using PBW for a period of time.

Why the heck would 5 Star not realize this, or perhaps they only meant teflon coated cookware. If that's the case, they should remove that warning from a homebrew product which people wouldn't be using for cookware anyways. My .02.
It's not just a homebrew product. I use it for nasty pots and cookware all the time. It is also especially good at cleaning Keurig coffee makers.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 08:30:42 pm »
Pretty good with the good old drip coffee maker too

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 08:40:32 pm »
Never noticed any problems using Teflon tape and it is needed in my fittings when using a March pump, otherwise there is...dare I say it...a risk of HSA!

Tilting at windmills y'all.  Break it all down periodically and all is good.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 06:14:34 am »
Working in the Automation industry, I have spent a lot of time with hydraulics.  The oil used in hydraulics can and does break down teflon tape over time.  (I have retrofitted many 1000 ton or larger presses that have the pickup screen clogged to some extent with the tape residue...but that is not normal) 

(Note, I am in the boat that thinks teflon tape and the Limited contact time with PBW.... will not result in any issues.  If left in constant contact with PBW for MONTHS...yes.  But not for the few hours of soaking)

The "best practice" in the industry, however, is not to abolish teflon tape all together.  Rather it is just to make sure it is not preset on the first two threads.  Essentially, if you dont have it exposed and "flopping around" it stays in place perfectly.  The tape when lodged between the threads, does not degrade.

With that in mind, I would use teflon tape wherever I needed a good water tight seal, and just make sure to apply it so that it is positioned in the threads and not exposed.   

(Assuming you are worried PBW will effect the tape )
In the kettle, I see white tape exposed... I would re-wrap the fitting so that it is not exposed to the kettle, and I would keep the first two threads clear of tape as well.... since it is being inserted into the coupling.

I can say that I have tired my pickup tube in my kettle with and without tape.  I had issues getting an air tight seal with my tube without the tape... but even without tape, enough gunk built up in the threads and fittings, after about 5 or 10 batches, that it became air tight.

I have since re-built the pickup tube and always use tape.

Good luck!

-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 06:27:49 am »
Welp...while their customer service rep. responded in five minutes, the reply left me wondering. I don't plan on using PBW anymore in my MT, but the initial soak has me (OCD) wondering whether or not Teflon tape will be dissolving into my beer going forward. Transcript below...

Me- I’m curious if PBW is safe to use in brewing kettles/ mash tuns that have threaded fittings with teflon tape. I noticed the warning on a bottle of PBW and I’m curious if the chemical will break down the teflon tape. Thank you!

Them-Hi Justin,

In order to really clean and sanitize you need to take all of the parts off and then you will have to put new tape on them.  Bacteria will hide in those crevices that threaded fittings have.  If you don't want to do that you can use PBW but it will not properly clean everything.

Me- Thanks for the quick response! I understand your email, but just to clarify…the PBW won’t break down the teflon tape?

Them- It probably would eventually but if you leave the parts connected there's really no way for it to get to the tape.

Me- In my case, there are threads that are exposed with the teflon tape.

Them- Exposed threads are just asking for an infection so be very careful!

Me- Thanks again. Can you give me an indication on whether or not I can use the PBW with the exposed teflon tape?

Them- I'm going to say no.
 :o
This is a good example of "Ask enough times and they'll say no to avoid any liability."
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958