Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: when to add dry hops  (Read 1598 times)

Offline james_cornell

• 1st Kit
when to add dry hops
« on: November 17, 2014, 05:53:13 pm »
I am assuming this is a simple question but I wanted to be sure anyways.

When I am following a recipe that calls for dry hops and simply says "3 days", I am assuming that means I add the hops to the fermenter approx. 3 days before I think I'm going to bottle, correct?

Thanks,

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: when to add dry hops
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:55:31 pm »
Lots of different approaches. I add them in the keg @ room temp for 7 days, then chill and force carb.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 06:29:50 pm »
That's how I dry hop james
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 10:49:28 pm »
This is an area you can really play around with. Anywhere from not dry hopping at all, to adding to the fermenter toward the end of fermentation, to waiting till its done and pitching them, all the way to some guys who add them to the keg and dont remove them until the keg is empty. Its all personal preference and depending on what you are trying to achieve. Ive had good luck with tossing them in the fermenter once I hit terminal gravity,  letting them soak and settle to the bottom for a few days, then just racking the beer. Anywhere from 3-10 days gives decent results. Ive also pitched them into the keg, in a hop sack, and left them in for the duration. No ill effects unless the keg lives for a really long time.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:45:53 pm »
This is an area you can really play around with. Anywhere from not dry hopping at all, to adding to the fermenter toward the end of fermentation, to waiting till its done and pitching them, all the way to some guys who add them to the keg and dont remove them until the keg is empty. Its all personal preference and depending on what you are trying to achieve. Ive had good luck with tossing them in the fermenter once I hit terminal gravity,  letting them soak and settle to the bottom for a few days, then just racking the beer. Anywhere from 3-10 days gives decent results. Ive also pitched them into the keg, in a hop sack, and left them in for the duration. No ill effects unless the keg lives for a really long time.

I'm trying both methods at the moment after listening to Jamil's podcast on double dry-hopping. An added benefit should be by dry hopping at two different temperatures producing a more complex aroma. 

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 04:58:02 pm »
I am assuming this is a simple question but I wanted to be sure anyways.

When I am following a recipe that calls for dry hops and simply says "3 days", I am assuming that means I add the hops to the fermenter approx. 3 days before I think I'm going to bottle, correct?

Thanks,

Yes. You are correct.

Many many dry-hopping techniques out there but that method is simple and easy.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline mikepires17

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:27:35 pm »
I prefer five days instead of three days. Tends to give off the perfect level of aroma (in my experience), but it matters what style you are doing. I like dry hopping multiple days instead of adding it all at once. Makes the aroma a lot more complex. You could try adding some for 7 days, then 5 days, and then 3 days (as an example).

Offline beerstache

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 03:38:35 pm »
Has anybody tried dry hopping in the bottle?  Put 2 or 3 whole hops in abottle at bottling time.  Sounds like a great experiment?