Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quality, Impact, and Commercial Appeal  (Read 6428 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: Quality, Impact, and Commercial Appeal
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2015, 07:41:38 pm »
My wife thinks that IPAs and stouts are beginner beers because all the guys who go gaga over them are usually fairly new to the craft beer scene. They think an alt is a poorly brewed IPA. And how many times have new brewers come on the forum and said "I hate lagers"

+1

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2015, 09:40:50 pm »
Hard to guess what would win people's choice. Lighter beers like CAP can be crowd pleasers, but get passed over as too average for a competition win.

I've sat on a bunch of BOS panels.  Honestly, there are a lot of lighter beers that win BOS, at least up here in WA.  Sure, there are plenty of RISs, IIPAs, and big Belgians, but I've also seen Pilsners, Milds, Kolschs, Dortmunders, ESBs, and Cal Commons win, too.  I could easily see a really good CAP walking away with BOS.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2015, 01:48:10 am »
Oktoberfest.  I won a people's choice competition with mine.  The third place beer was also an Oktoberfest.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2015, 09:00:20 am »
Hard to guess what would win people's choice. Lighter beers like CAP can be crowd pleasers, but get passed over as too average for a competition win.

I've sat on a bunch of BOS panels.  Honestly, there are a lot of lighter beers that win BOS, at least up here in WA.  Sure, there are plenty of RISs, IIPAs, and big Belgians, but I've also seen Pilsners, Milds, Kolschs, Dortmunders, ESBs, and Cal Commons win, too.  I could easily see a really good CAP walking away with BOS.
Sure, but a BOS panel is not the same as a people's choice award. It really depends who the 'people' are.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline john.buck.946

• 1st Kit
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2015, 11:24:35 am »
Belgian Pale Ale

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2015, 04:21:25 pm »
I think it's a regional thing.  When back on the East Coast, I see Boston Lager on most tap selections.  I don't think I've ever seen it on tap in Washington State.  But Alaska Amber sure is. 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2015, 07:44:25 am »

Each time I've judged over the past year it seems like it's become sort of a thing to try to pick a BOS beer that isn't an over the top beer. I'm not sure that's swinging the pendulum too hard the other direction but it's nice to see some recognition for a beer that isn't a barrel aged RIS or an IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPA.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing