Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops..Hops..Hops  (Read 2523 times)

Offline LittleBigDreams14

• 1st Kit
Hops..Hops..Hops
« on: January 21, 2015, 02:02:43 pm »
What's up everybody. So I am brewing a ipa batch and I picked up a variety of hops that I though would be fun and delcious. I was wonder if I could get some feed back on which out of the 6 would be my best base and as well as a good combo for my batch. So with that being said I picked up some Amarillo-Ahtanum-Centennial-Simcoe-Sirachi Ace I aprecciate your guys time. Thanks

L.B.D
Little Big Dreams Brew Co.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Hops..Hops..Hops
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 02:10:18 pm »
So, you only listed 5  ;). But I do like simcoe, Amarillo, and centennials in equal parts for late and dry hop additions for an IPA. You can bitter with Simcoe, but I'd suggest Columbus to bitter with in an IPA. I've not used the other two varieties here.
Frank

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 03:05:11 pm »
6...5 lol yea I haven't used ace or ahtanum before but the guy was talking about it highly so I figured I give it a buy. Normally I would base with Columbus but unfortunately I ran out and so did he.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 03:50:46 pm »
What's up everybody. So I am brewing a ipa batch and I picked up a variety of hops that I though would be fun and delcious. I was wonder if I could get some feed back on which out of the 6 would be my best base and as well as a good combo for my batch. So with that being said I picked up some Amarillo-Ahtanum-Centennial-Simcoe-Sirachi Ace I aprecciate your guys time. Thanks

L.B.D
Simcoe and/or centennial to bitter
The two As at the end.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 03:57:17 pm »
If you could possibly get an oz of Columbus to use for bittering (60 minutes), I'd use a combo of all the other hops to finish and dry hop. I'd save at least 4 oz to dry hop. Sounds good.
Jon H.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 05:01:16 pm »
Thanks guys, Unfortunatly I can't get my hands on the cloumbus.

Yea I am goin to go a combo of simcoe/centennial to bitter @60. Then use the ace and ahtanum with maybe a little cascade to finish and dry hop.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 05:31:50 pm »

Yea I am goin to go a combo of simcoe/centennial to bitter @60. Then use the ace and ahtanum with maybe a little cascade to finish and dry hop.

I don't know how many oz of hops you have total, but if you can get around 50 IBUs combined of Simcoe and Centennial for the 60 min addition and have some left over, those two hops also have excellent flavor and aromas too. In other words, if there are any left after the bittering addition, I would blend them with the other hops for finishing and dry hops. The Simcoe and Centennial will give you a nice dose of pine that you wouldn't get much of from Amarillo and Sorachi, as well as some citrus.
Jon H.

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 06:01:22 pm »
That's a good idea I have some left over from last week's batch. As far as finishing I have been doing things a little different some say once flame is our and some say 30 min before flame out. Which works best for you?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 06:10:42 pm »
That's a good idea I have some left over from last week's batch. As far as finishing I have been doing things a little different some say once flame is our and some say 30 min before flame out. Which works best for you?

Well, I experiment a lot with flavor and aroma hopping, so I don't really have one set procedure (yet).  You could add 2 oz of the blend each at 15,10,5,0 minutes. I made a lot of IPAs doing that. Or you could add half of your flavor and aroma hops near the end of boil and also do a hop stand - ie., cool the wort to 175F and add the other half of the aroma/flavor hops and let them steep for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Just be sure to save hops for dry hopping !
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:00:43 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 06:15:38 pm »

Columbus is also sold under the names Tomahawk, Zeus, and CTZ.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 07:25:10 pm »
Just don't short yourself on the dry hop end of things.  Cascade and Ahtanum will bring that aroma up front for you.
Run then beer.

Offline markpotts

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 04:46:08 am »
I think all of those hops are great for IPAs.
Just one thing to mention is the Sorachi Ace seems to be what we Brits would call a 'marmite hop'....you'll either love it or hate it. It can throw up some odd/interesting flavours and you have to be careful what you blend it with. Early flavour flavour to me is faintly lemon with a bit of bubblegum but as it matures in the bottle/keg I find it turns more to coconut. BTW, I'm one of the lovers :D
Hope you have a great brew.
Yorkshire, England

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 01:21:04 pm »
I think all of those hops are great for IPAs.
Just one thing to mention is the Sorachi Ace seems to be what we Brits would call a 'marmite hop'....you'll either love it or hate it. It can throw up some odd/interesting flavours and you have to be careful what you blend it with. Early flavour flavour to me is faintly lemon with a bit of bubblegum but as it matures in the bottle/keg I find it turns more to coconut. BTW, I'm one of the lovers :D
Hope you have a great brew.

Is marmite anything like vegemite? If so I wouldn't want it anywhere near my beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 01:29:57 pm »
To me, Sorachi is pretty lemony and kind of herbal, but I definitely never noticed anything like that. Maybe old/ bad harvest ?  That would be a pretty tough selling point if it were common.     ;D

EDIT - Definitely never noticed coconut.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 01:38:36 pm »
Is marmite anything like vegemite? If so I wouldn't want it anywhere near my beer.

Basically the same stuff. Never liked it myself.