Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nelson Hops  (Read 1073 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Nelson Hops
« on: January 25, 2015, 04:18:53 pm »
Smelling and tasting the Regal Pale Ale I just brewed recently and it's my first time brewing with Nelson. I'm really (pleasantly) surprised with the aroma and taste of this. Smells a lot like a muscadine wine or white zinfandel and taste like melon.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
Re: Nelson Hops
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 04:40:20 pm »
Try pairing it with Galaxy sometime, especially dry hops.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 04:47:47 pm »
Yeah, Nelson is a pretty unique hop. It definitely has a vinous, white grape character.  And +1 to Galaxy with it - it seemed like a crazy combo, but Stone made one of their 'Enjoy By' IPAs with that combo and it was pretty damn good. And Nelson really works in saison too - the vinous nature of saison yeasts together with Nelson is mighty tasty IMO.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:23:08 pm »
Yeah, Nelson is a pretty unique hop. It definitely has a vinous, white grape character.  And +1 to Galaxy with it - it seemed like a crazy combo, but Stone made one of their 'Enjoy By' IPAs with that combo and it was pretty damn good. And Nelson really works in saison too - the vinous nature of saison yeasts together with Nelson is mighty tasty IMO.

It definitely has a vinous, CHEAP white wine grape character.

FITFY.

Nelson is to my palate as Fuggles is to Denny's, or Simcoe is to my wife's. It is in the do not like category. I do not object to Fuggles and like Simcoe, for the record.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!