Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxy clean question  (Read 2915 times)

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
Oxy clean question
« on: February 07, 2015, 04:26:25 pm »
I have always used the oxi free but walking thru sams club they have a box of regular oxi clean is this useable for cleaning or should I stick with the oxi free

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Oxy clean question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 04:50:21 pm »
I have always used the oxi free but walking thru sams club they have a box of regular oxi clean is this useable for cleaning or should I stick with the oxi free

I think the difference is that the Oxy Free has no perfumes, dyes or anything that would leave a fragrance and/or tint behind. Though I think it would probably be okay, I use the Free just in case.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 05:02:05 pm »
I use the "versatile" version found at Costco and Sam's. Have for years. Just make sure it's well rinsed.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 05:12:47 pm »
Sweet next time I'm down there proly next week I'll snag a box of the versatile. side question, what is the other cleaning additive I can add to my oxy mix and it is pretty much pbw?  I can't seem to find where I saw it on here lol and thanks for quick replys

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 05:53:18 pm »
Powdered tsp substitute. Should be able to get it at a hardware store. Be sure it is substitute.

The blend I've seen most often is 70/30 oxy/tsp sub.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 06:32:56 pm »
I use the "versatile" version found at Costco and Sam's. Have for years. Just make sure it's well rinsed.
+1, same stuff I buy and haven't experienced any problems with it
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 07:38:04 pm »
That's the stuff thought it was a three letter thing lol thanks for the quick responses

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 10:06:41 am »

Yes.  I use Oxi Versatile, which I get at Costco.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 10:39:47 am »

I understand this is an inquiry regarding Oxi Clean, but just wanted to throw in a suggestion to evaluate our Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery wash if you can find some in your homebrew supply chain.  The base percarbonate is there for the Oxi Clean effect, but we blend agents into Craft Meister that boost the alkaline pH to loosen soils rapidly and to make the cleaner easier to rinse away with less effort and no risk of chalky white build up on your gear.  You might pay a little more, but the extra investment is returned in ease of use and effectiveness.

Cheers!
This account is operated by an employee of National Chemicals, Inc. and Craft Meister.

http://craftmeister.com/
https://www.facebook.com/craftmeisterbrewwash

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 11:08:46 am »

I understand this is an inquiry regarding Oxi Clean, but just wanted to throw in a suggestion to evaluate our Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery wash if you can find some in your homebrew supply chain.  The base percarbonate is there for the Oxi Clean effect, but we blend agents into Craft Meister that boost the alkaline pH to loosen soils rapidly and to make the cleaner easier to rinse away with less effort and no risk of chalky white build up on your gear.  You might pay a little more, but the extra investment is returned in ease of use and effectiveness.

Cheers!
I plan on switching to your tablet product once I use up most of my current stock of Oxiclean.

Offline duxx

• Cellarman
  • Good Karma Brewing, Warrensburg, MO
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 04:10:32 pm »

I understand this is an inquiry regarding Oxi Clean, but just wanted to throw in a suggestion to evaluate our Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery wash if you can find some in your homebrew supply chain.  [/quote]

1+ I have used this and I do like it better than either PBW or Oxiclean.  It dissolves much easier than PBW.  The problem is availability!  I often get the Craft Meister O2 BW from the prize packs I get from various homebrew competitions.  (Thanks for your support.)  Unfortunately, I have never seen the Craft Meister products in any of our LHBS.
"Tan and lean like a longneck bottle."  Zac Brown Band.

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 08:57:58 am »

I understand this is an inquiry regarding Oxi Clean, but just wanted to throw in a suggestion to evaluate our Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery wash if you can find some in your homebrew supply chain.

1+ I have used this and I do like it better than either PBW or Oxiclean.  It dissolves much easier than PBW.  The problem is availability!  I often get the Craft Meister O2 BW from the prize packs I get from various homebrew competitions.  (Thanks for your support.)  Unfortunately, I have never seen the Craft Meister products in any of our LHBS.

That's a valid point and that's why I have a job!  We are actively trying to grow the market presence of Craft Meister and a key factor in that growth is demand for our product from consumers.  Many home brew stores are reluctant to carry a product they are not familiar with or that they feel will "not sell."  If you feel comfortable doing so, please message me with some further information and I can try and contact your local shops to have some conversations.

Thank you for your support.
This account is operated by an employee of National Chemicals, Inc. and Craft Meister.

http://craftmeister.com/
https://www.facebook.com/craftmeisterbrewwash