Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pale ale hops  (Read 5701 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
pale ale hops
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 12:16:43 pm »
+1 to Mosaic, great hop.  It actually works pretty well in a single hop pale ale.

Tom Schmidlin brewed a very nice Mosaic APA for Stan Heironymus's talk at the Seattle NHC. That used the Hop 2 It recipe from Russian River, which is how Vinnie sees what a new hop brings to the party. I have been using that to evaluate new hops such as Empire and Mandarina Bavaria.

You can fin the recipe in a slide at the end of Stans talk in 2012.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/resources/conference-seminars/

I remember reading that about the Mosaic beers there.  BTW, have you tried your Mandarina Bavaria beer yet ?. Very nice hop. It's another good medium intensity hop that's great for pale ale . Or a few other styles for that matter.

I have not-cascade like hop?

EDIT: save someone the trouble-here's a great spec sheet on mandarina bavaria
http://www.baywa.eu/fileadmin/media/relaunch/Downloads/.EU/Hopfenvertrieb/14384_Flyer_Mandarina_eng_DIN_A5_k1.pdf
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:26:00 pm by wort-h.o.g. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: pale ale hops
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 12:18:45 pm »
+1 to Mosaic, great hop.  It actually works pretty well in a single hop pale ale.

Tom Schmidlin brewed a very nice Mosaic APA for Stan Heironymus's talk at the Seattle NHC. That used the Hop 2 It recipe from Russian River, which is how Vinnie sees what a new hop brings to the party. I have been using that to evaluate new hops such as Empire and Mandarina Bavaria.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/resources/conference-seminars/

I remember reading that about the Mosaic beers there.  BTW, have you tried your Mandarina Bavaria beer yet ?. Very nice hop. It's another good medium intensity hop that's great for pale ale . Or a few other styles for that matter.

Had a sip the other night, it need to finish carbing and drop bright. It has potential.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 12:21:58 pm »

I have not-cascade like hop?

It's a Cascade offshoot, but it has a nice tangerine/citrus flavor and aroma. And it's kind of herbal and resiny in the background. I think it's gonna do really well.  Quite a few breweries are supposedly using it already.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 12:41:24 pm »
I like the Galaxy/Citra combo. I use it in a golden ale and recently in an APA. I like it. Here shortly I'm going to revisit mosaic. I have not liked it in the past and picked up garlic/onion with it. I found an unopened pound of it in the freezer. So, I'm hoping that this was from a different harvest and is as great as everybody else says it is. It's going to go 50/50 with Azzaca in a session IPA... Not a pale ale, but I'll be using that combo. I've not used Azzaca yet either.
Frank

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 02:49:26 pm »
I use a bittering charge of Centennial (FWH), then flavor and aroma charges of Galaxy - love the fruitiness of the Galaxy. In fact, I may try dry hopping with it for my next Pale Ale batch.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 03:13:39 pm »
I like the Galaxy/Citra combo. I use it in a golden ale and recently in an APA. I like it. Here shortly I'm going to revisit mosaic. I have not liked it in the past and picked up garlic/onion with it. I found an unopened pound of it in the freezer. So, I'm hoping that this was from a different harvest and is as great as everybody else says it is. It's going to go 50/50 with Azzaca in a session IPA... Not a pale ale, but I'll be using that combo. I've not used Azzaca yet either.
I used Azacca recently in an IPA and I didn't care for it. It smelled good when I added it during the boil and flame out, but it tasted mild and herbal when the beer was ready. I think it might be a decent hop for a amber or darker beer.
Dan Chisholm

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 09:47:44 pm »
Galaxy is out of this world! <ba dum dum>

Seriously, I LOVE that hop in APA and Am. IPA.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 05:47:11 am »
I used Azacca recently in an IPA and I didn't care for it. It smelled good when I added it during the boil and flame out, but it tasted mild and herbal when the beer was ready. I think it might be a decent hop for a amber or darker beer.

That's weird. I used Azacca in an APA and really liked it.  I got lots of citrus, mango and some herbal and pine character.  Did you blend it with some other IPA-type hops that might have covered it up some? Just curious.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:45:35 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 02:58:45 pm »

That's weird. I used Azacca in an APA and really liked it.  I got lots of citrus, mango and some herbal and pine character.  Did you blend it with some other IPA-type hops that might have covered it up some? Just curious.
I used it at a 3:1 ratio with Cascade with additions @ 15 min, 0 min, and dry hop. I don't think the Cascade covered up anything at this amount. This was the first time I ever used it, so maybe it's too early make a judgment on it. It smelled similar to Amarillo when I added it to the boil with a nice orange, citrus aroma. The finished beer had more of a Cascade aroma with some pine and low citrus. The flavor was not strong with a earthy, herbal, or possibly woody taste. It seemed that if I used another hop with Azacca like Columbus, Citra, or Mosaic it might get totally lost...or maybe it would not. Seems like some more tinkering.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 03:12:28 pm »

I used it at a 3:1 ratio with Cascade with additions @ 15 min, 0 min, and dry hop. I don't think the Cascade covered up anything at this amount. This was the first time I ever used it, so maybe it's too early make a judgment on it. It smelled similar to Amarillo when I added it to the boil with a nice orange, citrus aroma. The finished beer had more of a Cascade aroma with some pine and low citrus. The flavor was not strong with a earthy, herbal, or possibly woody taste. It seemed that if I used another hop with Azacca like Columbus, Citra, or Mosaic it might get totally lost...or maybe it would not. Seems like some more tinkering.

Yeah, with Cascade it wouldn't have gotten lost. I did use it in APA and loved it for that, but I agree it could get lost in IPA unless you backed off on the stronger hops quite a bit. I mixed it with Centennial for the pale ale in a hop stand, but dry hopped Azacca only . I really liked it done that way. It might be destined to be a good APA hop. Which is a good thing too.
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 03:14:23 pm »
The last pale I did I used bravo, simcoe, and amarillo.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 03:30:01 pm »
Our Homebrew club (UKG in DuPage county IL) did a single hop experiment a couple months back.  Same recipe same water and same IBU's, but different hops by each guy.  I had Mosaic and it was well received.  The Mandarina and Galaxy were also very good.  Surprising how similar many of them were, but then how different a few of them were.  Most hops can produce great beers used in moderation (i.e., used in moderation so that you hit your intended IBU's and avoid making a session IPA - unless, of course, that is what you intend).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 08:58:18 pm »
You need to add a fourth "C" to the list; namely, Cluster.  I recently brewed an all Cluster  British-style IPA as an experiment. I even performed a hop stand with cluster.  I turned out amazingly well for a hop that gets so little respect from home and craft brewers.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 09:47:09 pm »
You need to add a fourth "C" to the list; namely, Cluster.  I recently brewed an all Cluster  British-style IPA as an experiment. I even performed a hop stand with cluster.  I turned out amazingly well for a hop that gets so little respect from home and craft brewers.

Cluster is usually in my freezer. It gets little respect, but the acreage has started to increase.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!