Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: USDA Cites AHA & Homebrewing In Report  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
USDA Cites AHA & Homebrewing In Report
« on: January 23, 2015, 04:33:07 pm »
Check out this report from USDA on usage of malting barley: http://www.ers.usda.gov/media/1736895/fds_15a_sa.pdf

Here's a quote:

>>
Homebrewers
In November 2013, the American Homebrewers Association (AHA) released the results of its nationwide survey of homebrewers. The AHA survey found that there are an estimated 1.2 million homebrewers in the United States who collectively produced more than 2 million barrels of beer (Brewers Association, 2013). This is a small, though nontrivial, proportion of all beer brewed in the United States (approximately 1 percent). Notably, estimates of homebrewer production and ingredient use are not captured by the TTB monthly brewing statistics. Furthermore, the typical homebrewer is thought to be less efficient and more likely to use malt extract and a greater proportion of imported ingredients than the typical craft brewer. Estimates of homebrewer domestic malt use range from 1 to 3 percent of total commercial brewer use (as reported by TTB), depending on assumptions of relative efficiency and use of malt to malt extracts. The more conservative 1 percent augmentation to total ingredients use is applied here and serves to increase total malt and malt products use by 40.5 million pounds or the equivalent of 1.13 million bushels of malt barely in 2014.
<<

Previously, USDA did not give much if any consideration to commercial craft brewers, let alone homebrewers, since the large brewers have traditionally used such a large percentage of the domestic malt production.  It's good to see homebrewers are getting some recognition and that the research the AHA does on homebrewing is getting this kind of use. 
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: USDA Cites AHA & Homebrewing In Report
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 06:30:06 pm »
That is fantastic!

Maybe this will encourage some more farmers to get into more interesting varieties of malting barley. so much of what is grown right now (vitrually all I would guess) is commodity varieties designed for the mega brewer use.

Such an exciting time to be a brewer! and a member of the AHA!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 08:09:12 pm »
That is very, very cool.  Especially, as Gary said, it hasn't been that long since the use by craft beer as a whole was considered too nominal to mention.
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 09:01:49 pm »
Maybe this will encourage some more farmers to get into more interesting varieties of malting barley. so much of what is grown right now (vitrually all I would guess) is commodity varieties designed for the mega brewer use.

I would like to think that an enterprising barley farmer would get into growing boutique malt, but barley is a subsidized crop. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 09:38:13 pm »

I would like to think that an enterprising barley farmer would get into growing boutique malt, but barley is a subsidized crop.
I'm thinking that this would need to start out at the grassroots level. There are a few new "craft maltsters" (for lack of a better term) that are starting to pop up. I could see one of these companies pairing up with local farms for something like this.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 09:51:01 pm »

Valley malt has been propagating Chevaleir (SP?) Malt, one of the oldest varieties.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 06:07:16 am »
I was just going to mention valley malt. I'm going to the valley next week on my birthday and plan on stopping by stocking up.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline koop3700

• Cellarman
  • sodus N.Y.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 06:08:02 am »
Little off topic but showing the growth and recognition of our community of whats happening here in upstate N.Y. Over Next Decade, Most NYS Craft Brewers Will Be Required By State Law To Source 90% of Ingredients From Local Farms & Malt Houses – State Currently Has Approx. 2,000 Acres of Malt Barley, Including Multiple Growers in the Capital Region; In Order to Match Demand, Malt Barley Production Must Increase 15x. This comes from senator Schumer in his efforts to get insurance companies to cover the crop. Insurance Currently Available to Farmers Growing Malt Barley In Other States, But Not NYS; Sec. of Agriculture Could Fix It Unilaterally, no Legislation Required – Schumer Calls on Feds to Prioritize & Fast-Track Vital Malt Barley Crop Insurance for NYS Farmers; Crop Is Risky, But Absolutely Vital For Craft Brewers & Distillers

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 07:04:27 am »
That is fantastic!

Such an exciting time to be a brewer! and a member of the AHA!

Which varieties do you think would be interesting to have around? I just bought a farm, and was going to grow barley as a cover crop this year. We haven't decided which to grow at the moment.
Kyle M.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 09:26:47 am »
Nothing good comes when the government "notices" the activities of a group.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 09:35:43 am »

I was thinking the same thing. Another great reason to support the AHA and BA!

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 09:39:02 am »
Actually the USDA does a lot of good and provides a lot of services, especially when not underfunded. Sometimes they screw up too. Like me. Their research can be particularly important because it is available to the little guys and not done in pursuit of making our food intellectual property.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 11:22:19 am »
Actually the USDA does a lot of good and provides a lot of services, especially when not underfunded. Sometimes they screw up too. Like me. Their research can be particularly important because it is available to the little guys and not done in pursuit of making our food intellectual property.
+1, the USDA research service produces a lot of valuable stuff.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 06:09:05 pm »
+1, the USDA research service produces a lot of valuable stuff.

+2 just spent the afternoon with some folk from the usda. Very helpful people who are underfunded and unappreciated.
Kyle M.