Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2015 Hop season  (Read 13024 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: 2015 Hop season
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2015, 03:25:28 pm »
Frank, if the rhizomes do not work out as well as you had planned, you will do better by ordering whole crowns or field-grade plants from Great Lakes Hops for a fall planting than waiting until next spring to plant rootstock.  I never experienced an appreciable first-year yield until I planted crowns and field-grade plants in the fall.  I was skeptical at first because my current hop yard was not my first rodeo, but I can confirm that the photographic results on Lynn Kemme's website are real. 

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2015, 05:28:58 pm »
Frank, if the rhizomes do not work out as well as you had planned, you will do better by ordering whole crowns or field-grade plants from Great Lakes Hops for a fall planting than waiting until next spring to plant rootstock.  I never experienced an appreciable first-year yield until I planted crowns and field-grade plants in the fall.  I was skeptical at first because my current hop yard was not my first rodeo, but I can confirm that the photographic results on Lynn Kemme's website are real.

+1 I am happy to pay the premium for such quality from Great Lakes Hops.
Kyle M.

Offline goobersan

• Cellarman
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2015, 08:29:55 pm »
FINALLY have some sprouts. 4-12-15   8)   pics to follow
Thank your mentor
Be a mentor
Brew Better Beer

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2015, 10:36:02 pm »
Thanks Mark, we shall see what the rhizomes do. I know to not expect much yield first year. I just hope they survive our weather and grow, even if they don't produce right away
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2015, 10:08:00 am »
Here are my 2nd year chinook Columbus centennial and willamette going up to the deck

1st year comet going up to the roof

Some shot of my beast cent

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2015, 12:36:06 pm »
My Cascades are only about 8' tall, but I've been picking cones since mid May.  I've got a couple of ounces so far.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2015, 06:18:53 pm »
Update the back yard

First year comet from plant

Chinook

Columbus revived from the japs

Bad pic cause of light of cent

Willamette

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2015, 02:10:33 pm »
Harvest weekend here. Pulled a few pounds off some of the ladies - Cents, Zeus and Columbus, Cascade and the Mt Hood.

Man it takes a lot of time to pick, but will be nice this winter to reach into the freezer.
Good year overall; I underestimated the weight of a fully laden plant. The Wind took the Mt Hood's half inch steel rod support and bent it right over. This Zeus only bent a little. 

The "oast" smells pretty good and my fingers are still sticky.
Cheers to the homegrown harvest. 8)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2015, 03:29:19 pm »
Chinook was decent others were poor to a loss. Too wet, downy mildew was a problem.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2015, 02:48:55 pm »
Hops Direct said No amarillo this season  ......grrrr.  Bought a lb. from amazon hop union
and suspect that they are 2014 crop (only 8 left) ...oh well least I will have some .....
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:08:54 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2015, 08:16:01 pm »
Chinook was decent others were poor to a loss. Too wet, downy mildew was a problem.

Japanese Beetles did so much damage to my hills this year that I did even bother to harvest the cones that were produced.  I reduced my hop yard to 6 hills two weeks ago.  Twelve hills was more than I could use and more than I wanted to pick.  I was 100% positive that the hop with no name was Columbus. I hate Columbus, so those hills fell this year along with Spalt Select (a waste of time to grow in my climate) and Southern Cross.  Southern Cross grew well for a first year hills, but Japanese beetles love it.   I am not down to Cascade, Early Cluster, and Wye Yoeman.  Wye Yeoman also grew well for first-year hills, which was surprising because British cultivars are not fond of my soil and climate. 

Japanese Beetle Damage to Spalt Select (they were nice enough to leave me with a skeletonized large leaf in the lower right-hand side of the bine)