Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Frozen starter  (Read 957 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Frozen starter
« on: January 18, 2015, 03:41:20 pm »
The bar fridge over crashed my starter into a solid chunk. Are they all dead or should I decant and add more wort? 
Thanks.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Frozen starter
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 04:24:43 pm »
Chris White from White Labs has indicated that frozen vials will lose 10% viability.  So I would reckon that you probably also lost 10% or so with the freezing that occurred.  If it were me, I would allow it to warm up to room temps, decant and pitch some fresh wort on top just to be sure they are still viable and alive. 

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 01:49:23 pm »
Just to follow up, I decanted and added another batch of starter wort and it took off quickly so I am going to assume viability was pretty good. Can't say for sure what the exact percentage would be but I'm happy with the results and wanted to follow up to confirm that the yeast was not killed by the freezing.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 01:58:32 pm »
Just to follow up, I decanted and added another batch of starter wort and it took off quickly so I am going to assume viability was pretty good. Can't say for sure what the exact percentage would be but I'm happy with the results and wanted to follow up to confirm that the yeast was not killed by the freezing.

Good on ya, Graham!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell