Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Elysian Just sold to Anheuser-Busch  (Read 9035 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Elysian Just sold to Anheuser-Busch
« on: January 23, 2015, 11:48:40 am »
I just saw this.  Here is the money quote:

"Breaking news – we don’t have all the details yet, but some rumors we caught wind of earlier this week are confirmed this morning in an email from Dick Cantwell, Brewmaster and Co-owner of Elysian Brewing Company.

“I’m free to tell you it’s true. Elysian is now part of ABI,” said Cantwell."

Wow they are really in a buying mode!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Elysian Just sold to Anheuser-Busch
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:53:36 am »
Here we go again....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 11:56:19 am »
Here we go again....

Cue Elysian haters in 4...3...2...
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 11:59:07 am »
Wow. Didn't see that coming. I'm a fan of their beers.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 12:00:02 pm »
The more I think about it the more I can't find the downside to these deals. The brewer, all the investors that helped them build, all get a nice return on their time and it opens up space in the market at the bottom for more new breweries. After all, there is no way that ABI is going to continue to maintain hundreds of tiny operations with all the overhead associated with that. They still don't seem to get that the consumer wants to buy from a small independent guy just as much as they want to buy xyz brand of beer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 12:11:52 pm »
I have a homebrewery for sale, home not included. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 12:16:47 pm »
After all, there is no way that ABI is going to continue to maintain hundreds of tiny operations with all the overhead associated with that. They still don't seem to get that the consumer wants to buy from a small independent guy just as much as they want to buy xyz brand of beer.

I've got mixed thoughts about these deals. I will say though that AB has PLENTY of money to scoop up these large regional breweries. They made over 40 Billion in revenue last year.

narvin

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 12:29:33 pm »
Dick Cantwell?  More like can't dick well, amiright?

Seriously though, if he wants to get out, that's fine.  He's been in it for a long time and deserves a retirement.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 12:34:54 pm »
Here we go again....

Cue Elysian haters in 4...3...2...

And I'm sure most of the haters would jump at an offer even faster than they did.

However, if one of my local favorites decided to do this, I may feel a little betrayed.  When did craft beer get so complicated and trendy?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 12:43:28 pm »
The more I think about it the more I can't find the downside to these deals. The brewer, all the investors that helped them build, all get a nice return on their time and it opens up space in the market at the bottom for more new breweries. After all, there is no way that ABI is going to continue to maintain hundreds of tiny operations with all the overhead associated with that. They still don't seem to get that the consumer wants to buy from a small independent guy just as much as they want to buy xyz brand of beer.

I agree. They don't get it. Another craft (hopefully a good one) will take their place.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 12:50:15 pm »
After all, there is no way that ABI is going to continue to maintain hundreds of tiny operations with all the overhead associated with that. They still don't seem to get that the consumer wants to buy from a small independent guy just as much as they want to buy xyz brand of beer.

I've got mixed thoughts about these deals. I will say though that AB has PLENTY of money to scoop up these large regional breweries. They made over 40 Billion in revenue last year.

oh they'll keep buying. My point was more that they won't keep that physical brewery around very long. They want the brand, the facilities are more of a liability than anything else in the long run. Once you remove the People and the facilities all that's left is the recipe and as we all know recipe is only about 10% of a great beer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 12:51:44 pm »
Good point. I wonder if this is a full buyout or an investment? Terrapin took money years ago and IMO is still quite popular as a craft brewery.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 01:22:25 pm »
Jonathan is nailing it here.  There are plenty of smaller operations that put out a fantastic product, but dont get the traffic.  Maybe this will get their front swinging more.  I am fortunate to live in the land of plenty where you can't throw a rock without hitting a brewery, but I might feel differently if this was my tiny hometown in Iowa.  Then again, it's so flat I could probably another on the horizon.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:24:09 pm by cascadesrunner »
Run then beer.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 01:49:08 pm »
Good point. I wonder if this is a full buyout or an investment? Terrapin took money years ago and IMO is still quite popular as a craft brewery.

Brewbound says it's a full purchase
http://www.brewbound.com/news/anheuser-busch-inbev-acquire-elysian-brewing-company

I think you'll see more deals like this as the wave of pioneers nears retirement.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 02:04:09 pm »
I believe they're going to need to rethink the slogan on their Loser Pale Ale.....

http://beerpulse.com/2011/03/elysian-brewing-sub-pop-records-team-up-on-loser-pale-ale-again/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:12:53 pm by jweiss206 »