Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Elysian Just sold to Anheuser-Busch  (Read 9154 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Elysian Just sold to Anheuser-Busch
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 03:33:43 pm »
Here we go again....

Cue Elysian haters in 4...3...2...
I'm not an Elysian hater or a hater of anyone who makes a business decision that he feels is best for him or his company, but Elysian now drops to the bottom of my list of breweries to buy from.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 03:52:39 pm »

I'm not an Elysian hater or a hater of anyone who makes a business decision that he feels is best for him or his company, but Elysian now drops to the bottom of my list of breweries to buy from.

That's how I feel. Good for Elysian and their families. But I won't support BMC by buying it afterward.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 04:17:54 pm »
Personally I don't get all the hub bub about this or any of the others that have "sold out"

Everyone said the same thing here in Chicago when Goose Island sold out but yet they are still brewing great beer and people are still buying barrels of it!  In addition the sheer power they now have has allowed them to do some really great things in their distribution and barrel aging program as well.

There are so many new breweries opening all over the country right now and there will be more that prove successful and eventually decide to sell as well.

I get the whole small, local, kindred spirit thing but just because an owner seeks greener pastures doesn't mean they're selling out. No one ever really knows the whole story that determines the reasons.

If the beer is good, I'll drink it and I'll buy it. Do those that state they will never buy it again do it simply out of principal since its now owned by a multinational company? Personally if these types of things mean that I can now buy beer here that prior I couldn't get, and the beer is the same, I'm winning, not losing as a consumer.

How would people feel if Sierra Nevada or Anchor or Boulevard or Boston Beer were the big boy buying them or someone else, would it still be considered selling out?
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 04:36:00 pm »

The more I think about it the more I can't find the downside to these deals. The brewer, all the investors that helped them build, all get a nice return on their time and it opens up space in the market at the bottom for more new breweries. After all, there is no way that ABI is going to continue to maintain hundreds of tiny operations with all the overhead associated with that. They still don't seem to get that the consumer wants to buy from a small independent guy just as much as they want to buy xyz brand of beer.

It is a brewpub. Is AB getting into a food business? Good luck.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 06:24:40 pm »

The more I think about it the more I can't find the downside to these deals. The brewer, all the investors that helped them build, all get a nice return on their time and it opens up space in the market at the bottom for more new breweries. After all, there is no way that ABI is going to continue to maintain hundreds of tiny operations with all the overhead associated with that. They still don't seem to get that the consumer wants to buy from a small independent guy just as much as they want to buy xyz brand of beer.

exactly! on comparitive scale it doesn't even matter if the profit margin is through the roof the actual net profit is a drop in the bucket to AB. It's just not going to be worth it to them to maintain the tiny separate operation.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 08:19:00 pm »

exactly! on comparitive scale it doesn't even matter if the profit margin is through the roof the actual net profit is a drop in the bucket to AB. It's just not going to be worth it to them to maintain the tiny separate operation.
4 brewpubs and a semi-large production facility, total around 50K bbls.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 08:21:24 pm »

4 brewpubs and a semi-large production facility, total around 50K bbls.
Interesting because money is in the brewpubs and not in production facilities. Just my opinion.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 10:33:07 pm »
He should start working on the sequel to his book: "Selling Your Own Brewery". I don't know if the BA will distribute it in light of the current situation, however.

http://www.brewerspublications.com/books/the-brewers-associations-guide-to-starting-your-own-brewery/

But seriously, good for everyone who got to profit on their own work. I don't care who makes the beer as long as it tastes good. If you don't like it, vote with your dollar. And so on.

Pretty soon this type of thing won't be news when it happens any more...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 06:50:17 am »
I agree with the assertion that this practice makes room for new microbreweries and hope we're right. I think another big factor in why the big corporations can't maintain the quality is that they cannot use the same high quality ingredients in the same amounts and make the necessary profit. I think a small brewer starts with a great beer, prices and markets accordingly, tries to get a bit more effecient where possible and then holds their breathe. A big corp knows how much profit a given product needs to make and works backwards from there.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 07:09:56 am »
I agree with the assertion that this practice makes room for new microbreweries and hope we're right. I think another big factor in why the big corporations can't maintain the quality is that they cannot use the same high quality ingredients in the same amounts and make the necessary profit. I think a small brewer starts with a great beer, prices and markets accordingly, tries to get a bit more effecient where possible and then holds their breathe. A big corp knows how much profit a given product needs to make and works backwards from there.

+1
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 09:56:49 am »
I was bsing with a brewer at Deschutes yesterday. The word on the street is Cantwell remains on scene running the operation. I imagine if he leaves, there is a lengthy non compete. The folks at Deschutes seemed to be fine with the deal, yet glad they are still family and employee owned.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 10:00:39 am »
Some information and thinking points here.
http://brianyaeger.com/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2015, 10:12:44 am »
I believe they're going to need to rethink the slogan on their Loser Pale Ale.....

http://beerpulse.com/2011/03/elysian-brewing-sub-pop-records-team-up-on-loser-pale-ale-again/

Story in our local paper today says they're keeping it as it is.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2015, 10:13:37 am »
Here we go again....

Cue Elysian haters in 4...3...2...

Personally, I'm looking forward to wider distribution so I can buy their products more often.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 10:15:52 am »

Interesting because money is in the brewpubs and not in production facilities. Just my opinion.

Maybe not if you have distribution through AB's network, though.  I think that the brewery is making at least as much money as the brewpubs.

www.dennybrew.com