Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Elysian Just sold to Anheuser-Busch  (Read 7655 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Elysian Just sold to Anheuser-Busch
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2015, 10:17:10 am »
I agree with the assertion that this practice makes room for new microbreweries and hope we're right. I think another big factor in why the big corporations can't maintain the quality is that they cannot use the same high quality ingredients in the same amounts and make the necessary profit. I think a small brewer starts with a great beer, prices and markets accordingly, tries to get a bit more effecient where possible and then holds their breathe. A big corp knows how much profit a given product needs to make and works backwards from there.

But there is no indication that quality in ANY of the breweries that AB has bough has fallen.   Dick Cantwell says nothing will change in terms of the products.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2015, 10:20:36 am »

I'm not an Elysian hater or a hater of anyone who makes a business decision that he feels is best for him or his company, but Elysian now drops to the bottom of my list of breweries to buy from.

That's how I feel. Good for Elysian and their families. But I won't support BMC by buying it afterward.

Me either, I'd rather spend my modest beer budget (most goes to ingredients) on someone other than "Goliath" brewing.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2015, 10:32:27 am »
I've always liked Elysian, but I probably won't be buying much of their beer anymore. I don't like AB-Inbev because their flagship beer isn't good, their marketing is annoying and  their distribution practices are frequently predatory.

When there are so many good local breweries around why would I bother lining the pockets of some far off big wig instead of a local artisan. I am sure that Elysian will still put out quality beer, but that is not the only reason I buy craft beer.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2015, 12:03:30 pm »
I agree with the assertion that this practice makes room for new microbreweries and hope we're right. I think another big factor in why the big corporations can't maintain the quality is that they cannot use the same high quality ingredients in the same amounts and make the necessary profit. I think a small brewer starts with a great beer, prices and markets accordingly, tries to get a bit more effecient where possible and then holds their breathe. A big corp knows how much profit a given product needs to make and works backwards from there.

But there is no indication that quality in ANY of the breweries that AB has bough has fallen.   Dick Cantwell says nothing will change in terms of the products.
This might be true now, I really don't know but what if in a couple years traditional AB products decline in sales and even more beer drinkers are looking for microbrews. Won't AB feel the need to squeeze more profit out of their growing craft division?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2015, 12:13:15 pm »

This might be true now, I really don't know but what if in a couple years traditional AB products decline in sales and even more beer drinkers are looking for microbrews. Won't AB feel the need to squeeze more profit out of their growing craft division?

If they make changes, the beer will be different and people will stop buying it.  Not what they're in it for.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2015, 05:12:28 pm »

If they make changes, the beer will be different and people will stop buying it.  Not what they're in it for.
The people who buy it now might stop buying it, sure. But with AB marketing power they can make it close enough and sell it to a whole new market, a much bigger one. They can also make distributors distribute it and retailers sell it. I never saw Blue Point I think it is around here until they bought it. Now its in every store. I'm sure if you want to carry bud you have to buy whatever other product they tell you too.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2015, 07:04:39 am »
Soylent Green is made of people!!!!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 03:38:32 pm »
Which ones? I haven't seen hide nor hair of crazy old uncle Louie since he escaped from the attic on New Year's Eve.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 06:50:38 am »
Which ones? I haven't seen hide nor hair of crazy old uncle Louie since he escaped from the attic on New Year's Eve.
Funny stuff

Actually it was my obscure attempt at humorously suggesting that AB ownership will result in some sifi like scenario where.... never mind LOL. It was funny after a few sours

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 07:38:29 am »

AB has been a minority owner of Fordham Brewery in DE for over 10 years. Nobody here gives it a second thought and it and the employees operate as if they were completely independent. I think AB has decided that if it gets too involved it will kill its own investment. Of course, this may be different 10 years from now, but I really don't like speculation. That's my zen side.

With Goose Island, the main difference is that ABI is supplementing production of flagship products at their own facilities - I've seen Goose Island IPA that's produced in Fort Collins. If that allows brewery owners to concentrate on specialty products, many are probably happy with that.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2015, 08:59:27 am »
I don't think the goal for ABI is to trash the products or otherwise affect the production quality of the beers. Rather, it seems ABI is looking to cash in on the craft beer movement and by having a portfolio of respected craft breweries they can offer a total package for their distributors to sell with their mainstream lagers plus a mix of European imports and domestic craft offerings.

IMO it's really less about competing against the local craft brewery and more about competing against the larger craft brewers who are competing for tap handles in places ABI and MillerCoors have traditionally had little competition. If they can convince Chili's and Applebees to take out the Sam Adams or Fat Tire handle and put in Goose Island or Elysian then they can control all the taps. They can also sell a complete package of handles to sports bars and other places that are expanding their beer offerings beyond the, "Oh we have everything! Bud, Bud Light, Miller..." but don't have much understanding of craft beer or any real interest in understanding it except knowing they need to sell it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2015, 09:26:13 am »
I don't think the goal for ABI is to trash the products or otherwise affect the production quality of the beers. Rather, it seems ABI is looking to cash in on the craft beer movement and by having a portfolio of respected craft breweries they can offer a total package for their distributors to sell with their mainstream lagers plus a mix of European imports and domestic craft offerings.

IMO it's really less about competing against the local craft brewery and more about competing against the larger craft brewers who are competing for tap handles in places ABI and MillerCoors have traditionally had little competition. If they can convince Chili's and Applebees to take out the Sam Adams or Fat Tire handle and put in Goose Island or Elysian then they can control all the taps. They can also sell a complete package of handles to sports bars and other places that are expanding their beer offerings beyond the, "Oh we have everything! Bud, Bud Light, Miller..." but don't have much understanding of craft beer or any real interest in understanding it except knowing they need to sell it.

I don't think ABI is aiming to trash anything. after all they are spending a lot of money on these properties. I'm saying I don't think that they will, in the long run, be able to maintain the levels of quality that these brands were built on. They balance quality against the bottom line. It comes down to the same thing that happened with Bud, in the 70's that was a 20 IBU beer, now it's down below 10 IBU because focus groups didn't express a strong preference between 20 IBU and 18 IBU, or 18 IBU and 16 IBU, or 16 and 14, etc. incremental adjustments hide major changes over years/decades while adjusting customer expectations and reducing production costs/increasing profit margins. If you took a 1970 bud drinking and gave them a 2014 bud they would not recognize it and might well hate it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2015, 01:52:50 pm »
Funny stuff

Actually it was my obscure attempt at humorously suggesting that AB ownership will result in some sifi like scenario where.... never mind LOL. It was funny after a few sours

By way of consolation Jim, I got your joke and thought it was funny.  But when you have to start explaining a joke it's a sure sign it failed with the general audience.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2015, 03:41:08 pm »
Funny stuff

By way of consolation Jim, I got your joke and thought it was funny.  But when you have to start explaining a joke it's a sure sign it failed with the general audience.  8^)

Paul
Pretty much. Usually my obvious failure to explain is the only thing funny about the whole tragedy

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2015, 04:34:37 pm »
I've been reading that Dick Cantwell, the head brewer and part owner, and the 'face' of Elysian, voted against the sale to AB, but was in the minority.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton