Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Regular Column tower vs "T" towed on kegerator?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Regular Column tower vs "T" towed on kegerator?
« on: December 25, 2014, 10:57:33 pm »
I am going to upgrade from 2 to 3 faucets and just wondering if anyone has any experience/opinions about a T tower vs a regular column tower?
Thanks
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Regular Column tower vs "T" towed on kegerator?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 02:44:55 am »
I think the big unchilled box that makes the T would mean hot foamy beer on the first pour. More so than on a standard tower anyway.

I keep kicking around ideas for a big keezer but its always a balance between what would look cool vs what would function properly vs what would be easiest to clean... that plus I have other things to blow money on right now.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 10:05:03 am »
I have a three-tap T tower, and I don't think there is any more beer in the line than when I had a single tap straight chrome tower. I made the T tower out of PVC, and I insulated the hell out of it. When I pour, I just pour a couple of ounces, stop and let the foam die down, and then I pour the rest of the pint. I get a perfect pour every time.

Hope that helps.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 10:16:57 am »
I was worried about the foaming also. My kegerator has a hose that blows cold air up into The tower which might help. I was also worried about the stability of the left and right taps being pushed on over and over again not being over the base?  Good to hear that if it's insulated there is no significant foaming.  I recently changed out my hoses and it was a real b**** to tighten everything in a normal tower. It sure would be easier to clean and work on hoses with that box.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 05:01:18 pm »
So I ended up buying the T tower.  It came with the cylindrical tower poorly insulated with a quarter inch pipe insulation that did not oppose the inner metal surface and the metal box up top was completely uninsulated.  I ended up putting half inch pipe insulation in the cylinder that was tight against the inner surface. I then silicon caulked the inside seams of the box and then triple insulated all surfaces as below.  After I installed it and put my fan blowing tube into the tower, I have gotten no condensation at all where as my prior normal tower was sweating like crazy.

I would post some pictures if anyone cares and is interested but I can't figure out how?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:30:09 pm »
Pictures need to be hosted on a site like picasa or photobucket. You then use the little Mona Lisa icon to add the link to the photo. Not the link to the page, but the link to the actual photo.