Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation Experiment  (Read 5117 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Fermentation Experiment
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 09:52:30 am »
I'm in contact with Marshall fairly frequently as a fellow experimenter.  He's aware of the shortcomings of some of his experiments, but that doesn't reduce the validity of what he does.  FWIW, this experiment will be repeated with WY1214, which is one of the most temp sensitive yeasts I've ever run across.

I don't mean to knock Marshall. In fact having read a couple of the write ups I think me makes a good effort to use fairly narrow, nuanced language in his conclusions. I am more concerned with others drawing conclusions that are not warranted.

Yep.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 10:21:14 am »
I'm in contact with Marshall fairly frequently as a fellow experimenter.  He's aware of the shortcomings of some of his experiments, but that doesn't reduce the validity of what he does.  FWIW, this experiment will be repeated with WY1214, which is one of the most temp sensitive yeasts I've ever run across.

I'm pretty curious to see how that comes out with 1214.  Yeah, that has to be one of the most temp sensitive strains out there.
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 09:50:34 pm »
FWIW, this experiment will be repeated with WY1214, which is one of the most temp sensitive yeasts I've ever run across.

We have finally found something on which we both agree. The Chimay strain is like a cantankerous old mule that will kick you if it gets the opportunity to do so.  It has to be one step away from being a wild strain.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:52:46 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2015, 07:43:47 pm »
FWIW, this experiment will be repeated with WY1214, which is one of the most temp sensitive yeasts I've ever run across.

We have finally found something on which we both agree. The Chimay strain is like a cantankerous old mule that will kick you if it gets the opportunity to do so.  It has to be one step away from being a wild strain.

Well...That sounds like a challenge...WY1214 is in the cart...any hints?
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2015, 07:48:06 pm »

Well...That sounds like a challenge...WY1214 is in the cart...any hints?

Don't ferment it hot.  I'd keep it in the low 60s.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2015, 09:18:24 pm »
I was a bit worried as it seemed this thread started to shift toward elitism... but self corrected. Marshall is absolutely aware and open to the limitations of his experiments. The careful wording is there - but perhaps he could be more explicit with his findings... Certainly no one should translate single data point findings with serious and repeatable science. Marshall doesn't claim this level of authority. Still 'mythbusting' many of the old doctrines of homebrewing are informative and valuable.

I welcome this kind of challenging and open experimentation. Even when the findings are (most often) not definitive, one can take away something. At the least, the debate here has been productive.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2015, 03:59:09 pm »
Good news is.. if you want to brew Kolsh or clean ales,  this experiment clearly shows that WLP029 is a VERY forgiving yeast and will supply very clean characteristics over a wide range of temperatures.... so if you don't have a temp controlled fermentation, this yeast will certainly help provide clean beers at higher temps!

Good to know. I'm thinking about doing an Imperial Pilsner brewed with an ale yeast at room temperature (mid 60s).
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women