Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Perlick 650 SS with flow control?  (Read 6613 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Perlick 650 SS with flow control?
« on: January 24, 2015, 07:45:14 am »
Went down to the taproom last night, and four out of my my five taps were stuck as if cemented in place. Tired from a week of work, I didn't feel like removing them and soaking them, so I forced them open only to be challenged with closing them before a corny keg's worth of beer ended up on the floor.

Long story short: I decided that my next major capital expenditure (I know I'm a homebrewer when I make capital expenditures for my basement bar) would be some nice, forward sealing Perlick faucets.

So my question is: Has anyone used these faucets? Are they as good as the reviews suggest? Flow control or no flow control? Worth the money?

Morebeer has them for $52.99 and free shipping.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Perlick 650 SS with flow control?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 07:48:38 am »
Went down to the taproom last night, and four out of my my five taps were stuck as if cemented in place. Tired from a week of work, I didn't feel like removing them and soaking them, so I forced them open only to be challenged with closing them before a corny keg's worth of beer ended up on the floor.

Long story short: I decided that my next major capital expenditure (I know I'm a homebrewer when I make capital expenditures for my basement bar) would be some nice, forward sealing Perlick faucets.

So my question is: Has anyone used these faucets? Are they as good as the reviews suggest? Flow control or no flow control? Worth the money?

Morebeer has them for $52.99 and free shipping.

Yes, they are as good as advertised. Completely. I had the same problem with cheap chrome faucets, got fed up and switched to all Perlick. I have the 630SS faucets, without flow control, and wouldn't trade them for anything. Granted it doesn't happen often, but I can go a week without pouring a beer and they pour perfectly - zero sticking.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 08:14:02 am »
Shop around and you can save a few bucks. AiH and farmhouse often have them on sale. People I know that have flow control love it.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 04:45:01 pm »
Thanks, Guys. I'll look around and see if I can find a lower price, but I think that's a good one, especially with the free shipping.
Frank C.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 04:55:42 pm »
Thanks, Guys. I'll look around and see if I can find a lower price, but I think that's a good one, especially with the free shipping.

Yep, good luck.  They have an nice pour and feel, but that first time you go to pour a few days later expecting a sticky faucet and get a smooth silky pour, you'll get all warm and fuzzy inside.  ;)
Jon H.

Offline eyousey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:58:43 am »
As a short term fix for your problem.  I've found a little keg lube around the cylindrical part at the front of the tap valve helps a lot.  It keeps the beer from working into that area and just makes the tap work a little smoother.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 03:04:22 pm »
I have 5 of the 650SS faucets. I got them from Adventures in Homebrewing, which is the best price online.

I love them. Just get 'em. You'll love them as well. My only problem with them is that guests will turn the flow control knob while we have a party going. When you set up the controls for each beer and people mess with them, it's very annoying. I had to put up a sign. "No touchy the shiny knobs!" Seemed to work. ;)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 03:30:43 pm »
I have 5 of the 650SS faucets. I got them from Adventures in Homebrewing, which is the best price online.

I love them. Just get 'em. You'll love them as well. My only problem with them is that guests will turn the flow control knob while we have a party going. When you set up the controls for each beer and people mess with them, it's very annoying. I had to put up a sign. "No touchy the shiny knobs!" Seemed to work. ;)

Yes, I pulled the trigger this morning and ordered them from AiH. After Steve in TX mentioned them, I looked there, and, sure enough, they are the cheapest. I'm hoping they'll get here by next week. I can't wait!

Thanks, all.
Frank C.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 08:24:00 pm »
I can find something I don't like about most things.... my Perlicks run out of beer from time to time.   That's about it.  Really good faucets. 

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 08:04:45 am »
They arrived last night, and I sanitized and installed them right away. Perfect pour, no drips, look nice, I'm a happy man! :)
Frank C.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 08:08:18 am »
They arrived last night, and I sanitized and installed them right away. Perfect pour, no drips, look nice, I'm a happy man! :)

Awesome. Enjoy.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 08:51:59 am »
Sometimes you have to pour two or three pints to be certain! 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 08:52:47 am »

And fill a few growlers without adjusting the tank pressure.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 09:34:12 am »
Yeah, I find I'm still checking mine periodically. Just to make sure they don't stick, of course.   ;)
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 04:24:42 pm »

And fill a few growlers without adjusting the tank pressure.
Yeah, I find I'm still checking mine periodically. Just to make sure they don't stick, of course.   ;)

Yes, I'm putting them through the paces tonight--for testing purposes, of course.  8)
Frank C.