Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Gazelle or A Big Goat - Big Sky IPA  (Read 2763 times)

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
A Gazelle or A Big Goat - Big Sky IPA
« on: May 08, 2010, 10:37:28 am »
I've been on a crazy IPA binge as of late. So many people like them and I continue to try to find one that makes me fall in love with the style. This one was pretty good, gotta be honest. I didn't know what to expect from a small brewery with a goat on the front of the bottle that I had to blow a little bit of dust off of.

Video Review of Big Sky IPA

Packaging

For me, there is nothing special about the packaging at all. Its pretty basic and looks a little to old for me. From my understanding the label is a painting of a mountain goat created by one of the founding brewers mothers. It is a very nice painting, but every time I see an animal on a label, I always feel like it is that animals piss. Big Sky Brewing has other brands that include “Moose Drool” and “Scape Goat” which leads me to believe that the name of this beer is a little uninspired. The label tells me its an IPA and that it has 6.2% ABV in it. A little more information would be nice, but like I said, there isn’t anything special about it. Very classic.

Appearance

A deep copper, a bit deeper than I’m used to seeing. A very nice fluffy white head with some good lacing down the sides.

Smell

Very hoppy. I can smell citrus hops, but I also seem to dig out a little bit of pine or mint within the hop smell. If anyone knows what kind of hops give it that pine or mint, I’d love to know for future reference. I don’t get any sweetness or malts in the smell.

Taste

Bitter! Its all hops. Even after it warms up, there isn’t much sweetness. I enjoy how dry it is, but I’d like just a pinch of balance for all this hop flavor. Some of the bitterness is a bit earthy, a little dirty.

Mouthfeel

Not much carbonation, but the acids from the hops hit the tongue and sting it nicely. It is a medium bodied IPA that, again, sticks to the roof of my mouth.

Drinkability

I would put this up there as a beer I could drink a few of. It has the dryness that I like, the hop characteristics that I’ve come to enjoy, but could use a pinch of sweetness to balance it. I’m not 100% of the bitterness after a few. However, I do enjoy this IPA. This would be really good with some spicy chili or taco’s or spicy shrimp.

Overall

I’d say the same thing as I have for the past couple a IPA’s. If you like bitterness and alcohol dryness, this is for you. Give it a try and tell me what you think! I’d love to hear about it.

Have you tried this brew? I’d love to hear about it. Plus I’d love to know where you live. Distribution on this beer is pretty centered so I’d love to know where you got it! Enjoy!

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
Re: A Gazelle or A Big Goat - Big Sky IPA
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 11:07:56 am »
I live in Texas and can get this brew. For me it was ok. I like the fact that it comes in a can. Have not tried moose drool yet.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 11:17:47 am »
It's an antelope.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 09:54:30 pm »
Having been to Montana a few times I was able to get this beer. I liked most of the beers in general. I favored their Big Sky IPA the most.

A really fine example of a Mountain State IPA.
Ron Price

Offline mikebiewer

• Cellarman
    • Mike's Brew Review
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 09:22:16 am »
I live in Texas and can get this brew. For me it was ok. I like the fact that it comes in a can. Have not tried moose drool yet.

Cool. I wasn't aware that you could get this in cans!

I have a feeling I'll be trying more of their beers as time goes by. I have never really given them much of a look because they look a little dated and generic. Usually the bottles have dust on them as well. However, I've heard nothing but good things from everyone I've talked to. That is enough to get me trying some more.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for clarifying that its an antelope. I write titles to peak an interest. I felt this question style of writing was more intriguing than "Review of Big Sky IPA". I could be wrong though, you tell me.

Thanks!

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 04:40:44 pm »
I think it's a great style!  I was just answering the question :)
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection