Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hop Timing  (Read 1793 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Dry Hop Timing
« on: January 24, 2015, 09:37:56 am »
I know I've asked a similar question before, but my current recipe calls for...

"after nine days, rack to secondary fermenter and dry hop.Let rest another nine days at 68°F (20°C)."

Can I dry hop sooner than 9 days? Secondly, doesn't 9 days seem like a long time to dry hop? I was going to dry hop for 4 days or so and bottle assuming it's done fermenting which after 6 days is already getting close.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Dry Hop Timing
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 09:38:57 am »
Yes.  I usually dry hop for 3-4 days.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 09:45:08 am »
Yes.  I usually dry hop for 3-4 days.

+1

I'd toss 'em in today.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 09:48:06 am »
My only concern with adding them today was that the krausen was still pretty high as of yesterday. Think that would matter at all?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 09:50:41 am »
I always assume that home brew recipes are not meant as "DO THIS" but rather "This is what the recipe writer did". So take your knowledge and experience and make changes, or do what they did if you want. WWKJD? I'd let it primary till its at terminal gravity and no byproduct off flavors, then I would dry hop for 3 to 7 days depending on what hop how much and what form. I probably wouldnt rack it off the yeast unless it is going to be dry hopped in the keg, or if I wanted to use the yeast before dry hopping.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 09:52:06 am »
My only concern with adding them today was that the krausen was still pretty high as of yesterday. Think that would matter at all?
Would all that airlock activity blow off the aromatics you're trying to get from dry hopping?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 09:58:13 am »
Would all that airlock activity blow off the aromatics you're trying to get from dry hopping?

+1.  At least wait until most or all krausen has fallen.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 10:19:22 am »

"after nine days, rack to secondary fermenter and dry hop.Let rest another nine days at 68°F (20°C)."

Can I dry hop sooner than 9 days? Secondly, doesn't 9 days seem like a long time to dry hop? I was going to dry hop for 4 days or so and bottle assuming it's done fermenting which after 6 days is already getting close.

After many trials of other methods, I now move the beer from primary before dry hopping.  I feel I get much better results like that.  I also always dry hop cold and leave the hops in for 2-3 months.  Keep in mind that there's not just one way to do things.  Try a number of different methods and decide for yourself.  I find that the "conventional dry hopping wisdom", as stated in your post, doesn't work as well as my method.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 10:23:19 am »

Yes.  Wait til the beer tells you it's ready.  That's the only schedule that matters.  Not what's in the recipe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 10:28:18 am »

After many trials of other methods, I now move the beer from primary before dry hopping.  I feel I get much better results like that.  I also always dry hop cold and leave the hops in for 2-3 months.  Keep in mind that there's not just one way to do things.  Try a number of different methods and decide for yourself.  I find that the "conventional dry hopping wisdom", as stated in your post, doesn't work as well as my method.

+1.  I like dry hopping in the keg best, but you're right. There are a lot of ways to hop and dry hop. It's best to just experiment and figure out what you like best.
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 10:30:58 am »

I would judge it by today.  ;D

If you want to play it safe, wait till everything drops and start dry hopping from there.  Many, many ways to do this.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 10:41:17 am »
Welllll, this thing is still a monster. The hops will have to wait  ;D