Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Equinox Hops  (Read 6961 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Equinox Hops
« on: January 24, 2015, 09:54:12 am »
I brewed a small batch APA recently to check out this new hop and I thought I'd pass on the final results. Equinox (HBC366) is the new release from the Hop Breeding Co.- the guys that produced Simcoe, Citra, And Mosaic, so they've been on a pretty hot streak in recent years. And this is another good one. Sierra (among others) is a big fan and used it in one of their single hop IPAs last year. 
   Equinox goes around 14-15% AA, and also has a very high oil content (2.9) -  it screams out IPA and dry hopping . In comparison, Citra is often listed at ~ 2 or or a little over. This is a complex hop - I get citrus, mango, earthiness, a touch of pine, and an overall resiny character (in a good way)from the high oil content. With its intensity it could drown out less intense hops easily unless you backed off on the Equinox. Except for trying out new hops, I rarely make single hop beers because I like to blend different hops for complexity. Thing is, this hop (sort of like Mosaic) has a lot going on and tastes like a blend of hops on its own. I get a little bit of Amarillo, Citra, and Simcoe together with a unique earthy/spicy character. Just bought a lb.
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Equinox Hops
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:02:12 am »
Sounds like one I'd like.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 10:03:50 am »
Really liked the Equinox beer SN poured at the Chicago event last summer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 10:06:12 am »
I bought a pound too based on your suggestion a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to use it. Do you think it should be used as a single hop, or what other hops would you recommend using it with?
Frank

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 10:06:33 am »
I tried it at CBC and really liked it. Thought about getting a contract for it but wasn't sure how much I'd use it.

I did get this hat though!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 10:10:46 am »
I bought a pound too based on your suggestion a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to use it. Do you think it should be used as a single hop, or what other hops would you recommend using it with?

You could always use Amarillo or a C hop of course in larger ratio, but maybe something like Galaxy to boost tropical fruitiness, too. Honestly, I think it's one to try on its own first - I don't normally say that. It's pretty interesting.

EDIT -  I haven't bittered with it yet, so I can't say how it does for bittering (though it's obviously high AA). I bittered the APA with Warrior and added Equinox in a hop stand and also dry hopped with it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:43:14 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 10:11:19 am »
Killer hat, Keith !
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 10:55:35 am »
Just last night I tried an American Amber Ale brewed by Haas Experimental which was single hopped with Equinox.  It was quite good.  I was in a large group with a lot going on so I didn't really focus on the beer too much, but I enjoyed the hop flavor a lot.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 12:04:30 pm »
Just last night I tried an American Amber Ale brewed by Haas Experimental which was single hopped with Equinox.  It was quite good.  I was in a large group with a lot going on so I didn't really focus on the beer too much, but I enjoyed the hop flavor a lot.

This might be the ticket here just to do something different since I have an APA on tap, IIPA fermenting, and a session IPA in the hole to prep yeast for an ABW.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 12:06:44 pm »

This might be the ticket here just to do something different since I have an APA on tap, IIPA fermenting, and a session IPA in the hole to prep yeast for an ABW.

Yeah, that sounds good.
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 05:50:25 pm »
Killer hat, Keith !

Here I am wearing the hat standing with some guy I know!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 10:09:02 pm »
Thanks for sharing your results. This has been on my wish list for a while. Sounds like I might have to bump it up a bit higher on the list.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 10:14:02 pm »
Thanks for sharing your results. This has been on my wish list for a while. Sounds like I might have to bump it up a bit higher on the list.

Quite a few on my list, too. No shortage of new ones right now, either.
Jon H.

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 05:02:39 pm »
I brewed a small batch APA recently to check out this new hop and I thought I'd pass on the final results. Equinox (HBC366) is the new release from the Hop Breeding Co.- the guys that produced Simcoe, Citra, And Mosaic, so they've been on a pretty hot streak in recent years. And this is another good one. Sierra (among others) is a big fan and used it in one of their single hop IPAs last year. 
   Equinox goes around 14-15% AA, and also has a very high oil content (2.9) -  it screams out IPA and dry hopping . In comparison, Citra is often listed at ~ 2 or or a little over. This is a complex hop - I get citrus, mango, earthiness, a touch of pine, and an overall resiny character (in a good way)from the high oil content. With its intensity it could drown out less intense hops easily unless you backed off on the Equinox. Except for trying out new hops, I rarely make single hop beers because I like to blend different hops for complexity. Thing is, this hop (sort of like Mosaic) has a lot going on and tastes like a blend of hops on its own. I get a little bit of Amarillo, Citra, and Simcoe together with a unique earthy/spicy character. Just bought a lb.

Lagunitas did their "born yesterday" w/ equinox and it was fantastic.... It will be on the "it list" in no time
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 05:59:12 pm »

Lagunitas did their "born yesterday" w/ equinox and it was fantastic.... It will be on the "it list" in no time

Yeah, I think it's the new 'it' hop for IPAs definitely.  HBC are on their game. Great hop.
Jon H.