Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Making progress with SWMBO  (Read 5308 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Making progress with SWMBO
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 05:01:10 pm »
Absolutely! It certainly doesn't stop anyone else!

Damn, I try not to be a snob (generally not a big fan), but I read some of my own posts sometimes, too.  I guess there's a fine line between sharing good info and seeming like a wisea$$.    :D
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 05:27:38 pm »

My wife only likes cider. She gets the bitter beer face for all beer. Any suggestions for beer for her to try. I'd rather buy her commercial until I find something she likes.

IME you gotta get her pregnant twice!
I've already done that! Didn't help. Three times is out of the question. We're too old.

Bummer! That was my only suggestion!

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 04:06:00 am »
My wife is strictly a Corona drinker. In the past I would make a beer that she thought that she'd like only to find that she really didn't. Then I was stuck with 5 gal of a beer I didn't like. So I stopped brewing for her. I make a batch of common cider once a year and she does like that.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 06:13:50 am »

Damn, I try not to be a snob (generally not a big fan), but I read some of my own posts sometimes, too.  I guess there's a fine line between sharing good info and seeming like a wisea$$.    :D
You don't come off as a snob,Jon. I don't really think I do very often either. I think that in this format the enthusiasm and connection of " oh cool, I'm into that too!" we list everything we do or know about it which comes off differently than the back and forth of ordinary conversation.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 06:21:56 am »

You don't come off as a snob,Jon. I don't really think I do very often either. I think that in this format the enthusiasm and connection of " oh cool, I'm into that too!" we list everything we do or know about it which comes off differently than the back and forth of ordinary conversation.

Yeah, totally.  If everyone were in a room talking about brewing, it would be a totally different dynamic. I don't really like the emoticons much, but it's at least an easy way to let people know you're kidding or whatever.
Jon H.

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 06:29:32 am »
The wife isn't much of a beer drinker at all, and only likes sweet wines.  We have discovered that any beer with 30 IBUs or less is tolerable to her.  Anything else gets bitter beer face.  It's a start.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 06:36:08 am »
I credit Denny and his RyeIPA for turning my spouse.
Recently she has become a bit demanding and keeps asking when "her" beer will be ready.  :D

I am a very lucky man.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 08:40:44 am »
My wife and I separately dabbled in beer when we started dating but that was at a time where there was very little craft beer in the area. Our interest skyrocketed after we started dating and especially after one of her friends encouraged me to start brewing. Shortly after I started brewing I discovered sours and immediately fell in love with them. She didn't like them at all so I thought I could brew up a carboy and drink it all by myself but before I could get that first sour beer bottled she had already caught the sour beer bug and now I have to share all of them.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 11:05:54 am »
My wife and I separately dabbled in beer when we started dating but that was at a time where there was very little craft beer in the area. Our interest skyrocketed after we started dating and especially after one of her friends encouraged me to start brewing. Shortly after I started brewing I discovered sours and immediately fell in love with them. She didn't like them at all so I thought I could brew up a carboy and drink it all by myself but before I could get that first sour beer bottled she had already caught the sour beer bug and now I have to share all of them.
That's funny. When I open a bomber of a favorite that I don't have a lot of I always offer her some like this: "you want to split a beer with me or do you want something else? There's a bottle of mead open too so you don't have to have beer if you don't want to get filled up before dinner." "No, a beer is fine if that's what your having." " I don't mind making you a cocktail if your more in the mood for that..."
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 12:15:46 pm »
My wife would not drink beer until she got cravings for it during her second pregnancy. Don't freak out, she'd only have one every now and then, but now she only drinks wine with her friends.

What scares me is that now she is starting to get a taste for coffee. And I already have a son who is drinking at least a cup of my $15+ dollar a pound coffee, and a pound of coffee barely makes it through the week. :(

While I often wish my wife could enjoy some beer with me, I am glad she doesn't share my taste for chocolate. I'm a little worried for when my son gets a bit older that I might start finding my $15+ bars of Amedei Chuao missing.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 04:23:35 pm »
A couple years back, SWMBO would only drink Coors Light and at my request would "try" various craft offerings. Usually coupled with a bitter beer face from a tiny sip and a comment like "Hmmm, thats really strong." After a while if she was really feeling daring she might finish a whole glass of Fat Tire.

I brewed for fifteen years, and this was the same response that I got from my wife. A couple of years ago, my wife and I were traveling in Belgium. It was very hot. We were having lunch at a sidewalk cafe in Brugges, and I ordered a beer ( Leffe, I think) and my wife ordered a Coke. The beer was served from a tap, in a chalice, and it was so cold that you could see the condensation pouring from the entire glass. And here was my wife with a flat, tepid soda in a plastic cup. It was the worst case of beer envy that I've ever seen. I said nothing; just waited for her to notice the irony of the situation. Well, it didn't take long. When the waiter returned for our order, my wife accosted him practically shouting, (like that scene in "When Harry met Sally") "I want what he is having." She loved it. Her fear of flavorful beer melted away, and for the rest of the trip she enjoyed beers she never would have if we were at home.

When we did return to home, she viewed my beer through new eyes. And though she doesn't drink everything that I do, she is no longer afraid to try new beers. And she likes quite a few "good" beers. As a matter of fact, she now prefers my homebrewed beer to anything else.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 04:36:50 pm »
A couple years back, SWMBO would only drink Coors Light and at my request would "try" various craft offerings. Usually coupled with a bitter beer face from a tiny sip and a comment like "Hmmm, thats really strong." After a while if she was really feeling daring she might finish a whole glass of Fat Tire.

I brewed for fifteen years, and this was the same response that I got from my wife. A couple of years ago, my wife and I were traveling in Belgium. It was very hot. We were having lunch at a sidewalk cafe in Brugges, and I ordered a beer ( Leffe, I think) and my wife ordered a Coke. The beer was served from a tap, in a chalice, and it was so cold that you could see the condensation pouring from the entire glass. And here was my wife with a flat, tepid soda in a plastic cup. It was the worst case of beer envy that I've ever seen. I said nothing; just waited for her to notice the irony of the situation. Well, it didn't take long. When the waiter returned for our order, my wife accosted him practically shouting, (like that scene in "When Harry met Sally") "I want what he is having." She loved it. Her fear of flavorful beer melted away, and for the rest of the trip she enjoyed beers she never would have if we were at home.

When we did return to home, she viewed my beer through new eyes. And though she doesn't drink everything that I do, she is no longer afraid to try new beers. And she likes quite a few "good" beers. As a matter of fact, she now prefers my homebrewed beer to anything else.

That's a pretty cool story.  It's on my bucket list anyway - I guess I need to take her to Belgium.  ;)   Belgian fruit lambics are the ones that she likes. Maybe the backdrop of Brussels or Brugge would help her enjoy Blond, Saison or Tripel.
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 05:17:58 pm »

That's a pretty cool story.  It's on my bucket list anyway - I guess I need to take her to Belgium.  ;)   Belgian fruit lambics are the ones that she likes. Maybe the backdrop of Brussels or Brugge would help her enjoy Blond, Saison or Tripel.
[/quote]

Yes, going there is a "game changer." Think of it: Belgian beers are good here, when you can get them. Imagine how good they are when you get them fresh, there, on tap. And the country is so beautiful and full of history. You get taken away with it. And the Belgians love beer so much that it's contagious. Go for it! It will be worth it.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 05:52:39 pm »
That is awesome!  Solid choices she made.  My partner now prefers double IPAs as regular IPAs are "not hoppy enough" for her.  ha. 

She went from hating IPAs to now buying some heavy hitters when at the store.  Cheers!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 06:34:54 pm »
I just got home and cracked open a left over from the Best of Craft. (Honey Porter from Cape May) She walks by, "what's that?" Honey Porter it says on the lable. She takes a sip... hmmm, a bit dry and roast for a porter, and where's the honey? Good job baby! Yes, its a pretty solid stout and I don't get honey at all.

Proud again