Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jarrylo hops  (Read 13783 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Jarrylo hops
« on: January 26, 2015, 07:30:21 am »
Yakima Valley threw in a couple of ounces free. I am seeing descriptors of pear and banana. Anything else?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Jarrylo hops
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:34:57 am »
Yakima Valley threw in a couple of ounces free. I am seeing descriptors of pear and banana. Anything else?

I haven't used it. Sounds interesting. I heard 'orangey', too. Let us know !
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 08:34:50 am »
Not sure when I will get around to using them but I am thinking about doing a SMASH lager with pilsner, jarrylo, and w34/70

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 04:57:36 pm »
Not sure when I will get around to using them but I am thinking about doing a SMASH lager with pilsner, jarrylo, and w34/70

Have a contract on it. Did a smash with it and wasn't impressed so right now we're slating it for bittering additions until we can test it more. It was lacking in flavor and aroma didn't live up to the flavors described.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 02:28:15 pm »
I have an APA in hopstand with Jarrylo and Zythos blend right now. The Jarrylo hops had a very underwhelming and hard to describe aroma out of the vacuum sealed bag. I got a sort of 'plastiky', synthetic smell. The zythos was mild but tropical and was much more fragrant than the Jarrylo. Hopefully its just one of those weird things since I am using them for dry hop as well.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 03:26:19 pm »
I got 2 ounces thrown in too. Now I am wondering about those hops and how to use them.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 03:37:51 pm »
I made a couple orders to YVH and got 2 oz of Jarrylo with each, haven't used them yet.  Can't find an oil % on them, but I've heard they're fairly assertive and resiny from a brewer friend. Gonna try a small batch APA to see if they work there or if they might be better suited for IPA. Heard good things about the aromas.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 03:48:54 pm »
Yeah I hope the aroma from the package is not indicative of the final product...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 03:54:59 pm »
Yeah I hope the aroma from the package is not indicative of the final product...

What was the aroma like, out of curiosity?
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 04:20:23 pm »
He hasn't thrown any in my orders.  :'(

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 04:42:19 pm »

It is very hard to describe. It was so mild but I maybe got some light herbal qualities along with synthetic/plastic. I know that sounds strange...not sure how else do describe what I perceived.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 05:22:40 pm »

It is very hard to describe. It was so mild but I maybe got some light herbal qualities along with synthetic/plastic. I know that sounds strange...not sure how else do describe what I perceived.

I wouldn't worry too much - it's really hard to get a read on some hops until you drink the beer. I've used hops that I thought were more fruity or citrusy (or whatever) smelling them from the package that ended up with a different hop character in the end product. Now honestly, not many smelled down right bad as pellets. But you might be pleasantly surprised. I look forward to hearing how these hops come out. 
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 09:42:49 am »
My APA with Jarrylo and Zythos is just finishing carbing up. Since the Zythos is in there, I can't really take too much away from the Jarrylo independently. In flavor and aroma I get mostly fruity characteristics including pineapple, strawberry, melon, pear, and banana. These are descriptors for both varieties combined which seems accurate. I think mostly fruit for both types and I am not pulling much citrus, pine, earthy, etc qualities at all. They are not dank but there is a nice 'hoppy' quality that I am having trouble describing. I think a lot of people don't care for Zythos. I have used it once in the past and thought it was a bit mild but pleasant.

A couple of days ago, I was getting heavy banana to the point of it tasting like a hefe. I am glad that has dissipated because it wasn't working with this style.

The aroma is more mild than I would like but that is most likely due to my low hopping rates. I used 1 oz of each for a 30 minute hopstand and 1 oz each for dry hop. The malt is adding some complexity to the party as well which is complementing the hops very nicely. The german pilsner, munich, and caramunich malts combined for a sort of nutty and biscuity quality that I didn't expect. So at the end of the day, this beer is obviously not designed to showcase jarrylo but I will say that I think it works well here and would be interested to use it again.

I could see it used in lighter colored belgian beers and possibly even wheat beers in modest amounts. It seems to be a complementary type hop and may not be that great on its own. I can't see it being used in any UK styles or most continental styles but that is just my impression.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:54:40 am by goschman »

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 03:07:23 pm »

we had similar experience here when using it as a Single Hop. Odd/off aroma and flavors that were plastic like. Ended up ditching the batch as it was undrinkable... don't think we were infected as we're extremely clean so again we'll need to test it again on the flavor and aroma in a Dry hop but really only thinking its best for a bittering hop as it has a higher AA i think around 10%
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 12:28:49 pm »
I got some Jarrylo hops as a freebie from NHC, had never heard of them before.  I just brewed an IPA with 50/50 Jarrylo and Falconers Flight.  Both are described as citrusy/fruity and floral.  I liked the aroma from the pouch, seemed to match, mostly citrus.  Smelled good when I brewed with it.  I'll try to remember to come back in a couple weeks and see how it is when it's done.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year