Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: El Dorado sweetness  (Read 4688 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: El Dorado sweetness
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 08:37:48 am »
FWIW, having used both Lemon Drop and El Dorado, I wouldn't use them 1:1 - El Dorado would dominate.  I think Lemon Drop 1.5 : 1 (or a little higher) could be pretty nice. I do really like the Stone Delicious, so I may give that a shot soon.
Jon H.

Offline larsonkd

• 1st Kit
El Dorado sweetness
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 06:25:45 pm »
Much like cooking, you need to know what each ingredient is bringing to the recipe. I love El Dorado because it brings that Starburst Candy sweetness to help balance the citrus of Amarillo and Centennial, and the spicy/dankness of Simcoe or Mosaic in my IPA. The result? I have a bright, crisp, and aromatic IPA. I use it as a 1:4 addition in the boil and in dry hopping, with the three other hops mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:27:36 pm by larsonkd »

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 08:25:30 pm »
Much like cooking, you need to know what each ingredient is bringing to the recipe. I love El Dorado because it brings that Starburst Candy sweetness to help balance the citrus of Amarillo and Centennial, and the spicy/dankness of Simcoe or Mosaic in my IPA. The result? I have a bright, crisp, and aromatic IPA. I use it as a 1:4 addition in the boil and in dry hopping, with the three other hops mentioned.

+1 I've used El Dorado a couple of times with other hops (Amarillo, Mosaic, Columbus, and Cascade) and thought it brought a nice flavor to the mix.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 07:26:12 am »

I believe someone maybe Hoosier warned me beforehand about using a 1:1 with El Dorado and other hops. It's hard to know how much of an ingredient to use when you have never used that ingredient before...

As I draw nearer to finding a solid APA that I want around a lot, my next attempt will be cascade, amarillo, and a little bit of simcoe or citra I think. After all this time, I am coming back around to appreciating what cascade brings to the table the most...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:48:26 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tbattisti

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 09:33:38 am »
Hmmm, I just brewed with El Dorado for the first time Friday. Used the Zombie Dust clone grain bill, bittered with 2 oz Magnum, used 2 oz each of El Dorado and Pacific Jade late in the boil, and was going to dry hop with 2 more oz of each. Hopefully the Jade will compliment Dorado well??

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 10:19:05 am »
I am not familiar with pacific jade. If you have a strong bittering component then it will probably be fine. As others advised me, you may want to compare the oil content of the two hops and adjust the amounts in relation to each other. For the dry hop, maybe use a 2:1 of Jade to El Dorado or something?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 10:40:59 am »
As others advised me, you may want to compare the oil content of the two hops and adjust the amounts in relation to each other. For the dry hop, maybe use a 2:1 of Jade to El Dorado or something?

+1.  Yeah 2:1 would be pretty close to balance out equally. Pacific Jade is listed at ~ 1.4 (total oils) where El Dorado is often more like 2.5-2.8.  And FWIW, those hops would play together fine.
Jon H.

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 06:01:09 pm »
I brewed a Wheat beer with El Dorado alone (3oz total) and was a little disappointed with the lack of Starburst sweetness.  Should have added a couple more ounces including a dry hop addition. 

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 09:39:58 pm »
I just bottled an IPA with El Dorado, Columbus, and Northdown.  The Columbus dominates.  I really don't pick up any of the Starburst / Jolly Rancher candy like flavors or sweetness from the El Dorado at all.  Might as well just have used Columbus by itself.  Seems like a wimpy hop to me.  It didn't smell sweet or awesome out of the package either.  If anything, I got onion and earth out of it!?!?  Should have been fresh from last year although I suppose there's a chance it was 2013 crop.  The Northdown had more character than the El Dorado.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Al Hounos

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 07:00:30 pm »
FWIW, having used both Lemon Drop and El Dorado, I wouldn't use them 1:1 - El Dorado would dominate.  I think Lemon Drop 1.5 : 1 (or a little higher) could be pretty nice. I do really like the Stone Delicious, so I may give that a shot soon.

Yes, I did a batch with 4oz 50/50 lemon drop / el dorado in the whirlpool, and then split the batch and added 4oz of either hop in dry hop. The el dorado dry hop was candy-like (cotton candy, i thought) but the lemon drop portion was rather bland. Just a generic mild grassiness.

I like El Dorado, I think, but its unique candy character needs to be appropriate for the beer you're making.