Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blizzard  (Read 9599 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Blizzard
« on: January 26, 2015, 09:33:48 am »
Its looking more and more like we really are getting 2-3 feet of snow. I encourage those of you effected by this storm to stay home if you can. Don't be the yahoo who ties up police/fire/ambulance/tow trucks/plows because you are too important to miss work or think your AWD drive makes it ok to drive around for fun.
If your an employer or boss same thing: don't make people come in if they don't have to.
I'm doing a little work from home and keeping up with shoveling. This is when the brewing I did in the fall pays off: I have English Barleywine, Dark Belgian, and wee heavy to sip on in front of the fire. Be safe!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Stevie

Re: Blizzard
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:36:22 am »
Good luck. Hope your fridge is stocked and your internet doesn't go out.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 09:37:48 am »
Good luck. Hope your fridge is stocked and your internet doesn't go out.

+1.  Be safe. I'm sure the Midwest will gets its turn soon.
Jon H.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:46:49 am »
Connecticut just issued a travel ban, which means you will get cited if you are on the road.  All the other NE states should do the same thing.  My wife works at a hospital so she's expected to get into work but not if she can't get out of the driveway.

Stay safe everyone!  At least I have a fridge full of beer and can keep it cold if we lose power.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:47:51 am »
I hope you all have your milk and bread. :)
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 09:49:44 am »

Judging by the panic at the grocery store yesterday, I'm sure some left without.  I spent the day getting my roof clear from the previous snow and tested the generator.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 09:54:52 am »
I'm always astonished by this. Last time we had a good freeze in N. Texas, the grocery stores were getting cleared out even after the storm passed through. We thought we were prepared, but when I went to make pasta, I realized when I dumped the sauce in the pan that it was salsa. Damn Safeway and their labels that all look alike.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 09:59:26 am »
Y'all hunker down up there and be safe. I'll never forget the last blizzard I ever saw in 1993. I had lived up north all my life and had never seen anything like it. Sounds like this may even be worse.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 10:02:34 am »
The media certainly has hyped it up.  I hope it's not as bad as the projections from the weather forecasters.  Hope everyone stays safe.  :)
Ron Price

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 10:11:12 am »
Actually I made sure we have scotch and chocolate. I baked a big 5# loaf of miche yesterday: sourdough breads last for days without going stale. Actually we're in good shape. We have our generator (which I ran yesterday) hooked up to our well pump and furnace and freezer/fridge plus a few other things plus we have a woodstove. We buy most stuff wholesale and have a well stocked pantry and freezer. I just feel bad for the dog. I'd hate to have to go outside to go to the bathroom.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 10:19:17 am »
That is awesome; wow am I jealous.

We have not had any weather here for ages...skiing either ice or hoar.
Now the meadowlarks are singing it is so warm.

Have fun shoveling. 8)

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 10:21:28 am »
MBTA just announced it will be shut down as of midnight.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 11:03:32 am »
Actually I made sure we have scotch and chocolate. I baked a big 5# loaf of miche yesterday: sourdough breads last for days without going stale. Actually we're in good shape. We have our generator (which I ran yesterday) hooked up to our well pump and furnace and freezer/fridge plus a few other things plus we have a woodstove. We buy most stuff wholesale and have a well stocked pantry and freezer. I just feel bad for the dog. I'd hate to have to go outside to go to the bathroom.
That sounds better! And wow, a 5# miche must be huge. I've never made a miche and tend to make multiple smaller loaves.  But I have heard they keep well.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 11:11:49 am »
That sounds better! And wow, a 5# miche must be huge. I've never made a miche and tend to make multiple smaller loaves.  But I have heard they keep well.
Its the loaf that one of Peter Rheinhart's students is holding on the cover of "The Bread Baker's Apprentice." My girlfriend couldn't wait the two weeks to give me a birthday present of a pro-series Kitchenaid mixer so I broke it in with a double batch of pizza dough and the miche. I came very close to firing up the outdoor wood-fired oven to make pizza and bread as a protest against winter yesterday but the wind was blowing the snow around too much so I had to do the baking stone and pan of water thing.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 11:52:24 am »
Everyone in the NE be safe.  We haven't had a really big one here in South-Central Iowa in many years.  Don't miss them too much either.

The comments about the grocery stores make me chuckle.  Last Fall the forecasters were calling for 4" and light winds.  You would have thought it was the end of the world judging by the grocery store parking lots.   ::) 

The big storms we have here today (knock on wood) are still small compared to the ones we had in NW Iowa when I was a kid (I know, know, walked to school, up hill both ways, 120 digs and 4 feet of snow and all that).  We had one that lasted for 3 or 4 days with 40+ inches of snow and 40-50 MPH winds for 4 days.  Most amazing snow storm I've ever seen.  Getting to the milking parlor required following a rope, it was crazy.  The sledding on the 35' drifts behind the grove was awesome though!  Once we found the cattle back, that is.   ;D

Again, be safe and have some fun in it once it's calmed down out there again.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?