Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Faster Finished Beer  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Faster Finished Beer
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2015, 06:17:21 pm »
FTR I can have a bee carbed up in 10 minutes with a corny keg.

You lost me there.  I've never put bees in my kegs, but it sounds interesting.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2015, 07:15:19 pm »

Most yeast strains will deliver beer ready for carbonation in two weeks or less, particularly if you have good fermentation processes and you ramp temperatures as primary fermentation starts to wind down.

Yes, but when refermenting in the bottle a few weeks seems to help improve the flavor.  Here's some good information on bottle conditioning:

http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2010/Bottle_Conditioning_Like_a_Pro-Jennifer_Helber.pdf

You're taking information discussing maturation over a year and applying it to a few weeks. That is incomparable.

Certainly the beer is changing over time in the bottle but if you're seeing sudden changes in the quality of the beer over a few weeks in the bottle then that is likely the yeast continuing to clean up fermentation byproducts that would not otherwise be there with good fermentation practices. That is not always the case but it is often the case.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 03:38:43 pm »
With the Brulosopher lager system, I am enjoying lagers in as little as a month (24-30 days even).  Some done without Whirlfloc needed some Biofine or gelatin.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 03:43:04 pm »
With the Brulosopher lager system, I am enjoying lagers in as little as a month (24-30 days even).  Some done without Whirlfloc needed some Biofine or gelatin.

Just curious, use Biofine yet ?

EDIT - I've had good luck with it. Curious to see how it works for others.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:10:52 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 04:12:46 pm »
Yes, but did not yet sample - saving the beer for the big game Sunday!  2 kegs of Helles for a SB party at a friend's house.  I pushed them from the bright tanks (kegs) where I had added the biofine to serving kegs and the beer looked very clear in the line from keg to keg, but I did a closed system transfer under CO2 with a Spunding valve, so that it would be goodly carbed and I didn't pour any off for myself.  Now that is self-control!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 04:18:00 pm »
Yes, but did not yet sample - saving the beer for the big game Sunday!  2 kegs of Helles for a SB party at a friend's house.  I pushed them from the bright tanks (kegs) where I had added the biofine to serving kegs and the beer looked very clear in the line from keg to keg, but I did a closed system transfer under CO2 with a Spunding valve, so that it would be goodly carbed and I didn't pour any off for myself.  Now that is self-control!

That sounds great !  I can see a good Helles going pretty quick at a Super Bowl party (or anytime). And I salute your self control, sir. Mine wavers from good to 'needs work' , especially when the beer is especially tasty.
Jon H.