Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pros help and advice  (Read 2126 times)

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
Pros help and advice
« on: January 25, 2015, 09:00:30 am »
I have the opportunity to possibly get a job at our local brewery as assistan brewer / head brewer more then Likely the the assistant due to me having no large skill experience.  I have some one that works in there already that can get my resume to the right person and get me sorta in.   My question is can you look over my resume and see if it sounds good or what I should change in the summary, I feel it isn't great but show my love for brewing and sanitation

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Pros help and advice
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 10:35:45 am »
IMO, I would make the following changes (based on the professional world, maybe brewing is different).

-Get a professional email address (gregory.bowermaster@gmail.com) for example.
-The professional summary reads more like a cover letter. It is pretty long for a summary and has a bunch of grammatical errors. Keep it short and to the point. Use a cover letter to elaborate on why you want to work there.
-Typically, I would also add that the skills would be below your work experience.
-In your work experience I would elaborate on specific things you did instead of bullets of everyday tasks. For instance highlight your reviews, how much volume you moved around yearly, detail the quality control stuff, etc.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:40:34 am »
Yea this is my first resume ever the job I'm at now I was pretty much hired on the spot with no experience and the warehouse work was well just that warehouse with an application no resume lol thanks for the tips I'll make some changes and re post in a bit any help from anyone that has done a resume before is better then me going in blind lol thanks again

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 10:45:23 am »
Also the one I posted was from one of those free resume builder sites but I will rework a new one word for a better layout

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 10:49:54 am »
Are you sending this to someone over email or handing it to them? If your sending it, I always recommend doing it in Word and then converting to a PDF, looks a lot cleaner.

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 10:51:24 am »
Yea emailing to a family friend that is working there already that can get it in the right hands of the hiring,  would sending my score sheets for some competitions be worth it or a waste of time

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 04:01:13 pm »
When I was assistant art director I looked at peoples resumes. Now that I am head brewer I look at peoples emails and meet them in person and assess them on the spot. If it doesn't seem to work out offer to volunteer for a week or two. I hired three guys that way.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 08:30:36 pm »
Lister brew strong episodes on what kind of skill we are looking for. There is a lot of small jobs in the brewery and expect to do most of them from milling go cleaning.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline hophead636

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 06:22:41 pm »
Yea I just found out about those two episodes today from a forum member over on HBT they really helped out and who would of known my welding background and warehouse work could come into helping on a resume in a brewery

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 06:56:26 pm »
Good luck.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com