Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Palm clone  (Read 4305 times)

Offline neopaszta

• 1st Kit
Palm clone
« on: February 12, 2015, 01:56:33 pm »
Hello everyone!

I'd like to brew a Palm clone, but I am not that familiar with belgian beers and I cant find any good reciepe for the start. Exept this: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=99961 but it's kind of an old post.

Is there anyone who brewed this beer before? Any recipes and tips are welcomed! :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 03:35:53 am by neopaszta »

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Palm clone
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 03:08:42 pm »
I don't have Palm, but I could help you a bit with a De Koninck clone, which is quite similar (beer type called "Speciale Belge" in Belgium), if you're interested. Mind you, I haven't brewed this myself, and have no plans to do so. De Koninck is from my home town.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 06:04:14 pm »
I offer that the Belle Saison dry yeast would be a great yeast for a BPA like Palm. It has just a hint of belgian character and is relatively clean when fermented at its low temp range. While it doesn't do much for me as a saison yeast, it exemplifies what I prefer in BPA character.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 07:05:34 am »
At first glance, those recipes look ok. Don't overdo the Aromatic, which tends to overpower beers.

Gordon Strong has a recipe in his Brew Better Beer which is based on De Koninck's "Bolleke", which is to Antwerp what Palm is to Brabant. One of my first all grain brews was a pimped version of that recipe, including smoked malt. I was pleased by it at the time, but am quite sure it wasn't actually very good in hindsight (you live, you learn, and it rightens skewed memories).

I offer that the Belle Saison dry yeast would be a great yeast for a BPA like Palm. It has just a hint of belgian character and is relatively clean when fermented at its low temp range.

I've not used Belle Saison at low temps before, but at higher, saisonesque temperatures, you'll want to keep it as far from that Palm beer as you can.

WLP515 is Antwerp Ale Yeast, which pretty much can only mean one thing: Bolleke. The yeast used to be served in a shot glass next to the beer in a number of pubs only a few decades ago.

One thing about the style: Spéciale Belge as it's called is a terribly fragile style. Overdo it, and you'll have an English bitter. Undershoot and it'll be a boring Amber. The bottled version of Spéciale Belges is always inferior to (i.e. not as rounded, nutty, creamy as) the kegged version.

Have you tried any Spéciale Belges before?
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 07:56:25 am »
Most of the information you need for De Koninck you can find here. http://wittepaard.roodetoren.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92 Unfortunately for you, it's in Dutch  ::)  Plus, there's no real recipe. You will have to work with the pieces of the puzzle:

IBU 23
EBC 25
OG 1048
FG 1011
hops: SAAZ
malts:
41% pils
41% Vienna
10% biscuit
5% aroma
1% Special B.

The biscuit seems to be essential to get the right malty character. And, indeed, yeast is Wyeast 3655 Schelde Ale

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:58:01 am by homoeccentricus »
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.