Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How long diacetyl rest?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
How long diacetyl rest?
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:30:38 am »
Doing a bopils fermented a week at 48 wyeast 2001. Brought up to 65. How long d-rest?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: How long diacetyl rest?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 09:42:55 am »
Does the beer taste like diacetyl?  If not, then you don't need to do a D rest at all.  However it won't hurt either.  For my lagers I typically raise temperature after the fermentation seems to be around 2/3 to 3/4 complete, then keep it there until fermentation is 100% complete.  Typically this will take 3-4 days, but sometimes it will take weeks.  Let the yeast be your guide.  When the airlock stops bubbling, the krausen falls, and the beer begins to clear, then you can chill back down to do your lagering phase.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 09:48:05 am »
after about 60-65% attenuation, I let it rise to 62F until finished,, then start the slow temp reduction.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 10:00:16 am »
Does the beer taste like diacetyl?  If not, then you don't need to do a D rest at all.  However it won't hurt either.  For my lagers I typically raise temperature after the fermentation seems to be around 2/3 to 3/4 complete, then keep it there until fermentation is 100% complete.  Typically this will take 3-4 days, but sometimes it will take weeks.  Let the yeast be your guide.  When the airlock stops bubbling, the krausen falls, and the beer begins to clear, then you can chill back down to do your lagering phase.
Do you rack off the cake before or after?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 10:02:15 am »
Do you rack off the cake before or after?

i dont rack until cold crash is completed at 30F ambient...that's around day 22 from start of fermentation. then i rack directly to the keg.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 12:11:31 pm »
I don't rack to secondary.  Just leave the beer in primary until bottling day.  Experience of myself and many others has proven that autolysis takes many months to set in.  There is no real advantage of racking to secondary, just leave the beer in primary the whole time.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.