Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Pumps  (Read 2822 times)

Offline HOPPED TO THE LIMIT

• 1st Kit
Brew Pumps
« on: January 26, 2015, 10:18:00 pm »
Hi all...
I'm trying to decide on a pump for my brew system. I'm stepping up my 5 gallon system to a 10 gallon system so I want to go with two pumps to reduce gravity fed situations. I'm trying to stay within the $200-$300 range for the two pumps, which from my searching rules out self priming pumps.
I found the Chugger pump on a few sites, and it comes with two different head configurations, stainless steel and polysulfone. Stainless is $50 more for each pump. I would like the stainless but can my extra $100 be better used somewhere else? Does anyone have experience or insight they can share regarding these head materials?
Or does anyone have a suggestion for another pump....any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Brew Pumps
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 01:36:55 am »
For what it's worth, I use the March composite pumps.  I called March and spoke with one of their techs who assured me they are food grade and able to withstand temps higher than boiling.  The main difference between the two is toughness.   If your pump fittings are likely to be hit with heavy objects or kicked, the stainless will serve you better.  My understanding about Chugger is limited, but I believe they were started by a former March guy.  I haven't heard much bad about them either. 
Either way, attach a valve to the outlet, not the inlet of the pump so you can control flow volume. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 04:17:51 am »
I've used March pumps for years. You can't go wrong. And, yes, I've only used the composite pump heads. I am building a new semi automated 1 bbl brewhouse and will be switching to stainless here soon but mostly because it looks cool.

You should take them apart and clean then from time to time as they do build up gunk. But regular use they are fine, especially if you cycle boiling wort through them for the last 20 minutes of the boil. Heat kills and penetrates where sanitizer can't.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 07:16:38 am »
I appreciate the plastic head on my March. It results in less heat loss when I'm using it for my RIMS. The thing that must be accommodated is preventing the inlet and outlet pipes from moving and breaking off the plastic head. I support my piping and the pump as shown below. That pump has over a dozen years on it and that is the original head.

Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:20:10 am »
Thank you guys! I will do a little more searching and look into some of the March pumps now too with the composite head. I plan on mounting the pumps too so with the composite head they shouldn't see much movement.

mabrungard....that is a tough pump with over a dozen years and it's still in good shape. Just curious on why you have a valve on the inlet and outlet of the pump. Is it just a design preference?

Thank for everyones help!

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 09:24:42 am »
i have one each SS and Poly Chugger, in my set up, the Poly primes better, and runs better overall.
The SS works, and I didnt have to be as carefull installing the valves and fittings, but then, as long as you do go Ape on the poly, ou shold be fine, If they made a center inlet poly, I would be all over it, but they dont so as it is, I am stuck with one of each, but if I need to replace the SS I will go with poly this time

T
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:25:54 am »
i have one each SS and Poly Chugger, in my set up, the Poly primes better, and runs better overall.
The SS works, and I didnt have to be as carefull installing the valves and fittings, but then, as long as you do go Ape on the poly, ou shold be fine, If they made a center inlet poly, I would be all over it, but they dont so as it is, I am stuck with one of each, but if I need to replace the SS I will go with poly this time

T
I have 2 center inlet poly pumps.

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 09:26:50 am »

T

how / where / i need to know these things...lololol

Ferm 2:

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 09:28:36 am »

T

how / where / i need to know these things...lololol
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002O47P26/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1422376077&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=51U%2BpSQRbZL&ref=plSrch

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 09:30:04 am »
Nice, I just need the head, if it will fit on a chugger body....

Ferm 2:

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 10:34:42 am »
Nice, I just need the head, if it will fit on a chugger body....
I'm pretty sure they are interchangeable but don't quote me.  May be worth a phone call or email.  http://www.pumpagents.com/MarchPumps/0809-0179-0100.html

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 10:59:10 am »
thanks

Ferm 2:

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 11:38:19 am »
Thanks TMX and JT this makes my decision alot easier

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 12:13:54 pm »
FWIW I might opt for the opposing inlet/outlet if I had a do-over.  For ease of draining only. 

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 04:33:19 pm »
I had to replace my March poly head.  Went with the chugger ss center inlet.  To me it was a double major improvement.  The only issue ever is when some dope opens valves in the wrong order.  Install a burp valve and its foolproof.