Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: flavors from pitching to warm  (Read 1667 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
flavors from pitching to warm
« on: January 29, 2015, 05:02:29 pm »
I have gotten an off flavor that hasn't been consistent in my house ale. I suspect its from possibly rushing and pitching when the wort is too warm. Can some of you describe what these flavors might be so i can nail this down? Still learning and having fun doing it!!!

Thanks,
Jimmykx250

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: flavors from pitching to warm
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 05:17:25 pm »
I have gotten an off flavor that hasn't been consistent in my house ale. I suspect its from possibly rushing and pitching when the wort is too warm. Can some of you describe what these flavors might be so i can nail this down? Still learning and having fun doing it!!!

Thanks,

Pitching too warm can give you overly fruity character (strawberry, peach) or strong banana character, in smell and taste. Also , you can have a hot, solventy character from the production of fusels - all of these can be produced by an excessively warm fermentation. Is this what you've experienced ?

EDIT - Never stop having fun, regardless !
Jon H.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 05:39:41 pm »

Thanks,

Pitching too warm can give you overly fruity character (strawberry, peach) or strong banana character, in smell and taste. Also , you can have a hot, solventy character from the production of fusels - all of these can be produced by an excessively warm fermentation. Is this what you've experienced ?

I cant say i get anything fruity more like a solvent off flavor. After the wort cools it goes to the basement and stays right around 68 this time of year.
Jimmykx250

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 06:24:03 pm »

Thanks,

I cant say i get anything fruity more like a solvent off flavor. After the wort cools it goes to the basement and stays right around 68 this time of year.

Solvent flavor would be more like it. warm temps actually create fusels which are basically a solvent. They don't taste very good. Fermentation is the most important part of the beer making process. Give it your primary attention and you will make good beer. Don't spend several hours making wort then not give a second thought to the beer once yeast is pitched. You simply must be sure to pitch enough yeast (see the pitching calc at www.mrmalty.com to get an idea how much yeast you should be pitching) and properly control and maintain fermentation temps. Otherwise you will make a perfect wort and just ruin it because you didn't pay attention to fermentation.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:25:40 pm by majorvices »

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 06:42:41 pm »
If you do not normally get fusel oils from your fermentations, my bet is on stressed yeast due to low count combined with underaeration.  Low cell count combined with inadequate aeration is a recipe for solvent flavors.

low cell count + high dissolved O2 = good
high cell count + low dissolved O2 = good
low cell count + low dissolved O2 = solvent city

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 04:50:02 am »

Thanks,

Keep in mind fermentation creates it's own heat.  Your basement may be 68, but your beer is probably getting into the mid 70s if you're doing 5 gallons.  What are you fermenting in?  Can you immerse the fermenter in a cooler or tub of water?  This will reduce the temperature climb.  Also, get a stick on fermometer for the side of your fermentation vessel (don't immerse it in water though). 
https://byo.com/bock/item/1869-controlling-fermentation-temperature-techniques

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 10:14:38 am »
What yeast are you using? Some yeasts are far more forgiving at higher temperatures.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 02:12:41 pm »
Us05 is what I'm using now.
Jimmykx250

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 10:20:01 am »
Us05 is what I'm using now.
That's one of them. The Pacman yeast is supposed to be very forgiving over a wide range of temperatures.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women