Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New cleaning products  (Read 8277 times)

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
Re: New cleaning products
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 12:36:06 pm »
I've asked Jonathan Ettlie from Craftmeister to join this thread to answer questions.  He will not be selling or advertising the product here.  If anyone has a problem with his posts, please contact me.

Thank you Denny.  Hello guys, this is Jonathan, the "Brewing Ambassador" (AKA Brand Manager) from Craft Meister chemicals.  I would like to be active on this forum as a product expert and someone that can offer assistance and answer questions about cleaning and sanitizing.  I'd be more than happy to field and answer any questions regarding the Craft Meister and BTF Iodophor products that National Chemicals, Inc. manufactures.

Cheers!

Hi Jonathon and welcome,
I'd like to know what the recommended dosages are for cleaning: kettles, kegs, carboys? Also how this would work in a CIP environment and what dose you would recommend for that..

There are multiple Craft Meister products that you could use for the tasks in question here.  We make two powdered cleaners, Craft Meister Oxygen Brewery Wash and Craft Meister Alkaline Brewery Wash.  Our new product is a pre-measured tablet that is a unique blend of both of our powdered cleaners compressed into an easy to use tablet.

The usage rate for both Oxygen and Alkaline Brewery Wash powders for cleaning kegs, carboys, bottles, fittings and other general cleaning is 1 oz per gallon.  We include a scoop in the containers, which translates to 2 scoops per gallon of warm-hot water.  Soak for at least 20 minutes or until clean, then rinse thoroughly and sanitize if required.

For cleaning kettles, which can often have harder to clean caramelized sugars and solids, we suggest up to 2 oz per gallon (four scoops), but this is at your preference.

For CIP systems, either the Alkaline or Oxygen Brewery Wash can be used at 1 oz per gallon.  The Alkaline Brewery Wash may foam with heavy agitation through pumps and spray heads, but has more staying power in solution for a longer time because it does not feature any sodium percarbonate oxygen release chemistry.

The Craft Meister Keg & Carboy Cleaning Tablets are easy to use.  For kegs, fill with hot water and use one tablet per three gallons of water (so 2 tablets for a 5 gallon Corny Keg).  For Carboys, fill with hot water, add 2 tablets per 3 gallons of water (4 tablets for 6 gallons).  Soak for at least 60 minutes, or until you reach desired results.  Rinse thoroughly, then sanitize as needed.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
This account is operated by an employee of National Chemicals, Inc. and Craft Meister.

http://craftmeister.com/
https://www.facebook.com/craftmeisterbrewwash

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 12:50:13 pm »
I'd be more than happy to field and answer any questions regarding the Craft Meister and BTF Iodophor products that National Chemicals, Inc. manufactures.

Do you sell any products that are effective at removing beerstone?

Thanks.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 01:28:21 pm »
I'd be more than happy to field and answer any questions regarding the Craft Meister and BTF Iodophor products that National Chemicals, Inc. manufactures.

Do you sell any products that are effective at removing beerstone?

Thanks.

Beerstone is a tricky soil to deal with.  Calcium Oxalate, formally known, is the result of the interaction of oxalates derived from plants (especially hops) and calcium in brewing water.  It can deposit in kettles, fermenters and beer lines.  We make a couple of products that can be effective for removing beer stone, which is a stubborn mineral best attacked with acids.  Alkaline detergents are not effective at removing beer stone.

DBC Lime and Mineral Solvent (http://nationalchemicals.com/dbc_mineral_and_lime_solvent-152-information.html) can be used to reduce or remove mineral build up from hard water and is moderately effective at removing beer stone.

If you have beer stone deposits in draft lines, we make ALC Acid Post Wash (http://nationalchemicals.com/alc_acid_post_wash_for_draft_lines-133-information.html) which can be used occasionally after running one of our alkaline beer line cleaners through your lines.  It is a strong acid, take extreme care when handling this product.
This account is operated by an employee of National Chemicals, Inc. and Craft Meister.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 01:31:52 pm »
Jonathon, in what situations would I use the alkaline cleaner instead of the oxygen cleaner?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 02:04:40 pm »
I still use unscented powdered dishwasher detergent as my main cleaner.  It's more effective than Oxyclean, and a heck of a lot cheaper than PBW.  However, powdered dishwasher detergent is becoming more difficult to find in local supermarkets due to the shift toward enzymatic dishwasher detergents.  I am going to have to take a look at the Keg & Carboy Tablets product.

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 02:44:54 pm »
Jonathon, in what situations would I use the alkaline cleaner instead of the oxygen cleaner?

Denny, this is probably the #1 question I field on a regular basis.

Craft Meister Oxygen (CMO) and Craft Meister Alkaline (CMA) were each designed to be a stand alone brewery cleaner product.  Each cleaner has an alkaline pH in solution due to sodium metasilicate and other alkaline agents, but the big difference is that CMO is blended with a large percentage of sodium carbonate, the "oxi clean" chemical, whereas CMA does not contain percarbonate.  Both CMO and CMA compare to Five Star PBW and Logic Straight A in effectiveness and price, but each Craft Meister Product has been designed to have unique advantages.

CMO is great for cleaning primary fermenters.  The active oxygen does a great job at loosening krausen rings from carboys and the alkaline punch from metasilicate aids in breaking down organic solids.  The oxygen will be active for roughly 60 minutes in solution until all of the percarbonate has finished doing its job.  I like to call CMO Oxiclean on steroids for home brewers.  It has all the visual and effective benefits of Oxi, but we also blend in agents that allow it to rinse away a whole lot easier and we also have agents in the powder that prevent chalky mineral scale build up.  Percarbonate, when it breaks down, leaves carbonate ions behind that easily bond with free calcium in high mineral water leaving behind a white chalky film over time - CMO has been designed to prevent this from happening.  Not suggested for use on aluminum.

CMA is a non-caustic alkaline cleaner.  It works in all water conditions - hard or soft, cold or hot.  It has the benefits of a professional style caustic cleaner while being much more gentle on your skin and hands and won't cause harsh chemical burns.  Unlike CMO, there is no percarbonate that foams up and gives a visual queue that the cleaner is working.  This also means the CMA is a great option for those that like a "set it and forget it soak it overnight" approach because the cleaner will not lose effectiveness over time.  I use CMA at home to soak clean my kegs and kettles.  It is also the best powdered cleaner that I've personally used to strip stubborn bottle labels from beer and wine bottles.  Avoid using on aluminum!

In conclusion - either Craft Meister cleaner will function well to clean anything in your home brew system.  If you have both, there are jobs that I prefer one cleaner over the other for, but each cleaner is a stand alone product.

Online Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 03:41:42 pm »
12.99 for a tub of 55 tabs. Not bad at all. I just restocked my oxyclean stash, so I will need to wait.

How does that compare to $1 a pound at the Dollartree for oxy-cleaner?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 03:56:48 pm »
I still use unscented powdered dishwasher detergent as my main cleaner.  It's more effective than Oxyclean, and a heck of a lot cheaper than PBW.  However, powdered dishwasher detergent is becoming more difficult to find in local supermarkets due to the shift toward enzymatic dishwasher detergents.  I am going to have to take a look at the Keg & Carboy Tablets product.

Mark, that's the one I've used the most so far and I'm very impressed.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 04:23:09 pm »
12.99 for a tub of 55 tabs. Not bad at all. I just restocked my oxyclean stash, so I will need to wait.

How does that compare to $1 a pound at the Dollartree for oxy-cleaner?

IMO, kinda apples and oranges.  Sure, both are cleaning products but I was amazed at how much more effective the Craftmeister stuff is.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 05:20:24 pm »
Two quick questions, Jonathon.

When you say hot water for the Craft Meister Keg & Carboy Cleaning Tablets, what's the temp range considered to be?  Only ask as I use Better Bottles and they can only take up to 120°.  My hot water heater is set for around 135-140° so I back off the temp and as I don't bother to check it I might be as low as 100°.

What's the product availability?  In other words, how soon before I might see this in my LHBS?  The less I have to buy online, the happier I am.

Thanks.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2015, 06:05:42 pm »
Better bottles are good up to about 140°

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2015, 08:36:35 pm »

Technically, you're right.  Problem is I have one that I cleaned with Oxyclean and 140° water and I've got several bulges on the sides.  So, rather than continue to 'bulge' my Better Bottles, I've taken to reducing the temp of the water.  If I can get a good clean with the tablets at a lower temp, that would work for me.
Dave C.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 11:10:39 pm »

Technically, you're right.  Problem is I have one that I cleaned with Oxyclean and 140° water and I've got several bulges on the sides.  So, rather than continue to 'bulge' my Better Bottles, I've taken to reducing the temp of the water.  If I can get a good clean with the tablets at a lower temp, that would work for me.
Never had that problem.

Offline Craft Meister

• Cellarman
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2015, 10:05:01 am »

When you say hot water for the Craft Meister Keg & Carboy Cleaning Tablets, what's the temp range considered to be?  Only ask as I use Better Bottles and they can only take up to 120°.  My hot water heater is set for around 135-140° so I back off the temp and as I don't bother to check it I might be as low as 100°.

What's the product availability?  In other words, how soon before I might see this in my LHBS?  The less I have to buy online, the happier I am.

Thanks.

I ran the majority of my R&D testing on the Carboy Tablets at 115-120 degree water.  They should work fine at that temperature.  Lower than 100 is not highly recommended - the tablets will dissolve much slower at lower temperatures.

As for availability, the Keg & Carboy Tablets have been for sale through the BSG HandCraft catalog for about six weeks, since mid-December.  If your LHBS does business with BSG, they should be easy to order in.  If your shop doesn't carry them, give them a reason to and ask for them!  I'd be happy to talk to your shop and answer any questions, just let me know what I can do to help.

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2015, 01:22:08 pm »

Thanks.

I ran the majority of my R&D testing on the Carboy Tablets at 115-120 degree water.  They should work fine at that temperature.  Lower than 100 is not highly recommended - the tablets will dissolve much slower at lower temperatures.

As for availability, the Keg & Carboy Tablets have been for sale through the BSG HandCraft catalog for about six weeks, since mid-December.  If your LHBS does business with BSG, they should be easy to order in.  If your shop doesn't carry them, give them a reason to and ask for them!  I'd be happy to talk to your shop and answer any questions, just let me know what I can do to help.

Great.  Sounds like a plan.  Thanks again.
Dave C.