Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Competition Scoresheet timeline.....  (Read 3514 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Competition Scoresheet timeline.....
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 12:29:15 pm »
What we'll do for the Falcons Competitions is:
  • take the scoresheets as they come in - sort them into entry order and check them off in the system as received.
  • Those scoresheets are then taken off to a friend's business with a big document center type scanner and scanned and mailed out to a free email account.
  • Scripts login to that account, pull down documents, name them properly and sort them into entrant buckets.
  • After all the scoresheets are received, the scripts verify that all sheets have been properly sorted, upload them to our website and then email all the entrants with a link to their score sheets. (a link email seems to have far better penetration rate / lower bounce rate than directly attaching the pdf's)

We've turned around the Mayfaire - a 500-700 entry competition in about 5 hours in the past.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 12:56:21 pm »
What we'll do for the Falcons Competitions is:
  • take the scoresheets as they come in - sort them into entry order and check them off in the system as received.
  • Those scoresheets are then taken off to a friend's business with a big document center type scanner and scanned and mailed out to a free email account.
  • Scripts login to that account, pull down documents, name them properly and sort them into entrant buckets.
  • After all the scoresheets are received, the scripts verify that all sheets have been properly sorted, upload them to our website and then email all the entrants with a link to their score sheets. (a link email seems to have far better penetration rate / lower bounce rate than directly attaching the pdf's)

We've turned around the Mayfaire - a 500-700 entry competition in about 5 hours in the past.

So does that mean we should see scoresheets from the DKM comp soon?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 05:59:34 am »
Just enter another comp.

At our local comp the sheets can be picked up immediately following the BOS round. If they are mailed it will be in about 2 weeks.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 07:29:59 am »
I wasn't at all implying that running a comp is a one man job.

I know you weren't implying that.  :)

Setting up a central data gathering solution?  Yes.

Sadly, I have yet to find someone that will do this for us. Hell, I can't even get someone to build me an Access database!  :o

The problem with going digital is that you would have judges filling out score sheets on some sort of device. Here's some potential issues (I'm listing so we can talk about them an try and find a solution, not because I'm throwing it back at you):
- Many judges are older, with poor eyesight, and may be stuck in their ways of filling out a paper sheet.
- Does everyone bring their own device? What about the people who don't have smart devices?
- Comps depend on judges filling out sheets in about 10-12 minutes. Any longer than this and a 2.5 hour judging session turns into a 3.5-4.5 hour judging session - that's where you start to talk about judge fatigue. Imagine a 600 bottle comp, which is usually broken down into 2 early flights, 2 Friday flights, and 2-3 Saturday flights. If those sessions took longer than 2.5-3 hours a piece, it would be a disaster. Judges would drop like flies from fatigue and the organizer would likely not be able to do weeknight judging sessions. That's a huge issue. My point is this: many people take longer to type than write, especially on a mobile device or tablet. How can that be overcome?
- If they aren't full typed out score sheets, then how do you communicate to entrants that they might not get the traditional set of feedback?
- Who is going to set this database up? Do you have a reliable volunteer?
- How are you going to integrate it with something like the BCOE&M? From what I understand, it is updated every now and then, and you would have to patch your system in each time it is updated - who is going to do that?

My point is, there is a lot that goes into this and I don't see (at least our group) being able to pull it off. I'm open to suggestions.

Back to my other point of poorly run competitions, Jimmy hit the nail on the head:

The trouble is just that many organizers don't think ahead about the process.
All valid points!

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 09:14:38 am »
As a rule the best run comps get your sheets back to you quickly.  The exception is the NHC finals which seem to take about a month.  It is well run, but they could stand to put a little bit more emphasis on it.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 10:41:30 am »
Scanning and emailing judging sheets is probably the easiest option available although for a large comp you need a fast scanner and somebody, or preferably multiple people, who has a good process in place to sort forms before they go in the scanner and afterwards as the files are being created. It's faster and cheaper to send forms by email with the cost of postage these days.

This is what we do for Malt Madness.  Our competition is around 500 entries and we have 2-3 to people to scan score sheets.  We used to stuff envelopes and have them available for people to pick up the day of the competition and send the rest out by mail, but we switched to scanning to save on postage.

Dave, what type of scanner are you using?

I'll check with our IT guys.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 12:36:19 pm »
Scanning and emailing judging sheets is probably the easiest option available although for a large comp you need a fast scanner and somebody, or preferably multiple people, who has a good process in place to sort forms before they go in the scanner and afterwards as the files are being created. It's faster and cheaper to send forms by email with the cost of postage these days.

This is what we do for Malt Madness.  Our competition is around 500 entries and we have 2-3 to people to scan score sheets.  We used to stuff envelopes and have them available for people to pick up the day of the competition and send the rest out by mail, but we switched to scanning to save on postage.

Dave, what type of scanner are you using?

I'll check with our IT guys.

It’s actually a multifunction device – printer, scanner, and fax.  It is an HP Laserjet 15369dnf MFP.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 02:53:15 pm »
So does that mean we should see scoresheets from the DKM comp soon?

I would hope, but I don't know what they've done the scoresheets.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison