Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smoked hop IPA  (Read 1766 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Smoked hop IPA
« on: December 23, 2014, 09:01:20 am »
I'm smoking some hops today to stuff into a firkin (pin, actually) - I opted for cherry wood. 2 oz of centennial in a colander with low heat. The metal colander is warm to the touch.

I'll let you guys know how it tunrs out in 2 weeks. The hops smell pretty amazing just by themselves. I'm pretty excited.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Smoked hop IPA
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 09:13:20 am »
I look forward to hearing how it comes out. It always seemed like something that wouldn't work, but after reading some of these posts I'm curious.
Jon H.

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 01:50:04 pm »
A friend did some smoked hops back in 2011 doe NHC. Not sure what hops or how much or what wood but the beer was crazy smoked... Fun experiment but not all that great. I'm curious to know how yours turns out.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 05:43:58 pm »
I'm curious how this would taste vs. using smoked malt.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 09:06:03 am »
I'll be tapping the firkin next Sunday and I'll let everyone know how it turns out. At the very least it should be interesting...

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 02:26:32 pm »
Hmmmm.... Did a turkey this year with apple wood (first time smoking with apple wood) and that sounds good!!!
Jimmykx250

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 05:51:18 am »
Served this yesterday out of a cask (pin) to about 40 people (2 oz samples) and it was a big hit. Also had an assortment of other beers so it was not the only beer on the list. Didn't have one person say they didn't like it, and saw only empty samples coming back. Lots of people came back for full pints until the pin was kicked.

My impression: The smoke was mellow. It was about 2 oz of smoked centennial over cherry wood. The hops got a little warm to touch but I kept the smoker really cool so the hop flavor also came through nicely. The hops were smoked for about an hour. It had a nice wood character that mingled nicely with the mild smoke. I am not a huge fan of smoked beers but it was something I thought I could drink a whole pint of and maybe consider a second.

Definitely something I am going to continue to play around with!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 06:03:07 am »
Served this yesterday out of a cask (pin) to about 40 people (2 oz samples) and it was a big hit. Also had an assortment of other beers so it was not the only beer on the list. Didn't have one person say they didn't like it, and saw only empty samples coming back. Lots of people came back for full pints until the pin was kicked.

My impression: The smoke was mellow. It was about 2 oz of smoked centennial over cherry wood. The hops got a little warm to touch but I kept the smoker really cool so the hop flavor also came through nicely. The hops were smoked for about an hour. It had a nice wood character that mingled nicely with the mild smoke. I am not a huge fan of smoked beers but it was something I thought I could drink a whole pint of and maybe consider a second.

Definitely something I am going to continue to play around with!

Cool, and that answers my question. I was curious if the smoke would nullify the hop character or not. Sounds like it doesn't. Well I've got a smoker - it sounds like a fun change of pace.  Good info !

EDIT  -  Sounds like a light touch with the smoke is the key, though.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 06:05:53 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 07:26:01 am »
Yeah, I only smoked the dry hops. Next time I may try smoking some of the kettle hops too. OTOH I'm not stuck drinking 5-10 gallons all by myself, so keep that in mind. ;) Definitely a lot more mellow and easy drinking than a rauchbier.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 09:20:01 pm »
First of all Major, I applaud your creation of those "special" beers!

This past weekend I was thinking "smoked IPA", except my approach was to smoke some thawed fall chinook salmon and can it up. 

After giving it some time in the jar for flavors to meld, it will go on crackers served with plenty of cold IPA.

Half of the fish got painted with maple syrup and air-dried before going into the smoker, with jalapeno  slices in the bottom of each jar before going into the pressure canner. 

Hey, people (me too) go crazy over peppy, little bit sweet and salty/sour, smoky flavors WITH cold beer.  And I guess for most of us that includes meat/fowl/fish as the delivery system.  So for your next "smoked" beer creation maybe you would consider a smoked chiles and meat beer, possibly with other (smoked?) natural grown-from-the-earth ingredients!

Somebody would make that beer, or have in numerous variations no doubt.   

I feel that most people honestly prefer the safety of going with proven combinations of specialty gourmet (or just good-tasting) foods together with well-paired beer; but singularly unique festival-in-a-glass craft-brewing is sometimes a stronger attraction than proven-result food and beer pairings.

We all know this.

Still, I still wonder when I'll get back and again brew your kaffir lime leaves, galangal saison.  Man, what a beer!

Anyway, again thanks for sharing your ongoing various innovations, now obviously as a pro. 

And hopefully as well as enlightenment through the journey, you will also achieve rewards for the fruits of your labors.  Maybe try an "ahhh, grasshopper" beer?  I need a beer.  No, I want a beer.   :)