Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: got my water analysis  (Read 3640 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: got my water analysis
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 02:43:25 pm »
The last 2 batches of RO I have purchased came from 2 different Krogers. The first read at 14 TDS, and the second where I usually buy, measured 3TDS this past Friday. Each unit had stickers on them confirming they had been serviced/tested within 2 weeks of my purchases. I am very happy with the hand held TDS meter I purchased after reading about it on here.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 03:28:03 pm »
The last 2 batches of RO I have purchased came from 2 different Krogers. The first read at 14 TDS, and the second where I usually buy, measured 3TDS this past Friday. Each unit had stickers on them confirming they had been serviced/tested within 2 weeks of my purchases. I am very happy with the hand held TDS meter I purchased after reading about it on here.

Great purchase, Frank.  I love mine. I don't like bad surprises (like, the RO wasn't as RO as I thought it was). Nice to be able to avoid that !
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 05:50:40 pm »
Thanks Jon, the purchase was based on your suggestion. What should I have expected difference wise between 14&3 TDS? I assumed really nothing g and did nothing to account for it, just wanted to kick myself for buying from a different location. The one here in SE Indiana has always been less than 10TDS when I remember to check it: very consistent
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 06:16:02 pm »
Thanks Jon, the purchase was based on your suggestion. What should I have expected difference wise between 14&3 TDS? I assumed really nothing g and did nothing to account for it, just wanted to kick myself for buying from a different location. The one here in SE Indiana has always been less than 10TDS when I remember to check it: very consistent

Between 14 and 3 - nothing. I've seen many references for drinking water (including RO) being sub-50ppm dissolved solids, high end. The RO machines I use read between 12 and 17ppm TDS. I think sub 25ppm TDS, no worries in terms of adjustments.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 08:33:15 pm »
I can buy RO for $0.44 a gallon that has beer measuring 3 ppm TDS, pretty nice, and that is used for light lagers. The other source is $0.27 a gallon, and is 45 TDS, so that is used for ales. Some of the difference is the feed water, the second being on a city with wells, and the other would be the RO system filters life cycle point.

The local brewpub has let me get nano filtered water at 13 ppm which is pretty good!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 06:06:35 am »
Yes, even at 50 ppm TDS, it means there is very little ionic content is in the water and virtually all the individual ion concentrations are below 20 ppm. That is not a lot to worry about. As evidenced above, the thing we are watching for is when the TDS rises to a level like this, we know that the machine may be failing since normal RO operation produces water with much lower TDS.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 06:41:13 am »
Yes, even at 50 ppm TDS, it means there is very little ionic content is in the water and virtually all the individual ion concentrations are below 20 ppm. That is not a lot to worry about. As evidenced above, the thing we are watching for is when the TDS rises to a level like this, we know that the machine may be failing since normal RO operation produces water with much lower TDS.

Martin, when you are getting TDS readings around 10 on average (my RO water), is this basically almost as pure as distilled? reason i ask is that i made the adjustment in bru'nwater to water as distilled vs RO, and my PH is much closer to projected.

EDIT: whats TDS does bru'nwater assume when selecting RO?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:43:57 am by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 01:34:12 pm »
Of course, you can alter the ionic content in the RO water profile to meet your particular water testing results. But the stock RO water quality that comes in Bru'n Water calculates as a TDS of 22 ppm. While a lot of that is bicarbonate content, I wouldn't think that it will make a significant difference in the pH estimate. A few hundreths? 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 01:38:59 pm »
Of course, you can alter the ionic content in the RO water profile to meet your particular water testing results. But the stock RO water quality that comes in Bru'n Water calculates as a TDS of 22 ppm. While a lot of that is bicarbonate content, I wouldn't think that it will make a significant difference in the pH estimate. A few hundreths?

one example: 5.4 as RO, 5.36 distilled.  more relevant near either end of PH range, but does get me a more accurate prediction.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 02:35:50 pm »
Is being able to purchase RO water at a supermarket or in a WalMart store a Midwest thing? 

Offline 69franx

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 02:51:24 pm »
Can't speak for anywhere but here, but it's in every Kroger and Walmart I've been to in the greater cincinnati area
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 03:21:00 pm »
Can't speak for anywhere but here, but it's in every Kroger and Walmart I've been to in the greater cincinnati area

+1.  And Meijer. That's where I normally get mine (39 cents/gal).
Jon H.

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 04:07:49 pm »
I can get it @ 41 cents/gallon at Safeway, and about the same price at Walmart, I just don't want to spend the $16 on the first 5 gallon jug, and I don't know if I can use a water can from a camping store, or if one of those is any cheaper...
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2015, 04:21:31 pm »
I can get it @ 41 cents/gallon at Safeway, and about the same price at Walmart, I just don't want to spend the $16 on the first 5 gallon jug, and I don't know if I can use a water can from a camping store, or if one of those is any cheaper...

Around here you can refill empty plastic (milk type) jugs. I thought about buying one of their 5 gallon ones, but the jugs are free and it seemed silly since I  already have plenty of 1 gallon jugs.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2015, 05:18:34 pm »
Is being able to purchase RO water at a supermarket or in a WalMart store a Midwest thing?

Mark, I don't know where you are at, but around here the water is very alkaline and hard if from wells (my town), or moderate alkalinity if from the Great Lakes (next town to the east). Many use RO for making coffee, drinking water, and so on. There are plenty of roadside RO dispensers in the Rio Grande Valley and South Padre Island area too. Some parts of the US have water with almost no mineral content, others have a boat load.

My local brewery lets me get water from their nano filtering system. I give them a couple of bottles of beers I am liking, and sometimes they ask for a recipe, which I gladly give! Win Win!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!