Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: lower cost bock  (Read 4773 times)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: lower cost bock
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 07:19:36 am »
Long story made short, Steve:

Sure you can do it! But your own priorities are going to have to tell you if it's worth it.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 08:21:03 am »
I think the difference is most evident in munich malt. weyermann munich II is dark bread crust, toast, biscuit, and a hint of dark fruit. GW munich 10L (or gambrinus for that matter) is dark dried plums, cherries, and candied fruit with a hint of bread crust/toast.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 08:39:34 am »
OP might be on a tight budget with his brewing where ~$0.20/lb. over the year matters.

I would look at the avangard malts, which are often selling competitively with domestic products. If you can't find them in your area then I'd probably opt for a domestic pils as a base and try to spend a little extra to get a German munich.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 09:48:55 am »
Next on my schedule is a maibock. In an effort to save money I was thinking of getting Briess 2-row and Briess munich instead German pilsner and German munich.
I already have German tettnang and German yeast.
Okay? Not okay?

IMO, a very, very bad decision.  For one thing, my opinion is that Briess malts just don't taste good.  My own tries at maibock have used several different continental pils malts and even there, there was a large difference in the flavor.  I'd really advise to you break down and spring for the continental malts.  Pils and carahell are all you need to make a killer maibock.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 09:56:46 am »
Next on my schedule is a maibock. In an effort to save money I was thinking of getting Briess 2-row and Briess munich instead German pilsner and German munich.
I already have German tettnang and German yeast.
Okay? Not okay?

IMO, a very, very bad decision.  For one thing, my opinion is that Briess malts just don't taste good.  My own tries at maibock have used several different continental pils malts and even there, there was a large difference in the flavor.  I'd really advise to you break down and spring for the continental malts.  Pils and carahell are all you need to make a killer maibock.

+1. An extra $10-12 up front for a great beer you'll love every glass of  vs  a little savings and a beer that's 'pretty good' is a no brainer for me. You'll work equally hard for either and appreciate former a whole lot more.  My $0.02.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 09:58:03 am »
And I'll add...Steve, if you have to use domestic malt for economic reasons, at least get something other than Briess.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 09:58:56 am »
I use Briess quite often.  No issues.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 10:00:19 am »

Have you ever compared its flavor to Great Western or Rahr?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 10:03:20 am »

I was just editing my post to indicate that I need to branch out more and try more malts, but Briess is the primary base malt that my go to supplier Listermann's carries.  Just curious, when is the last time you used it? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 10:21:32 am »

I was just editing my post to indicate that I need to branch out more and try more malts, but Briess is the primary base malt that my go to supplier Listermann's carries.  Just curious, when is the last time you used it?

I use their 60L organic crystal all the time, but the last time I used a Briess base malt was well over 10 years ago.  I have tasted beers others have brewed with it though.  Not much flavor.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 10:45:24 am »
Try chewing on Briess Munich versus Best Malz Pilsner and Best Malz Munich I. It's amazing how much the Breiss Munich tastes like the Pilsner malt.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline 69franx

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 11:11:02 am »

JT the good news is that the brewery is now using some Rahr 2row for at least 1 of their brews. I saw pallets of it in the back a little while back. Chris said they are not planning on offering it in the shop, they will order a sack on prepay.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 11:21:48 am »

Try chewing on Briess Munich versus Best Malz Pilsner and Best Malz Munich I. It's amazing how much the Breiss Munich tastes like the Pilsner malt.

Great suggestion...tasting the grains really gives you an idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 01:52:05 pm »
Good call, I just need to find them side by side in a local shop.  I have an aversion to ordering base malts online.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 01:52:48 pm »

JT the good news is that the brewery is now using some Rahr 2row for at least 1 of their brews. I saw pallets of it in the back a little while back. Chris said they are not planning on offering it in the shop, they will order a sack on prepay.
Awesome, I will be picking up a sack for sure.  Thanks!