Author Topic: lower cost bock  (Read 1569 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: lower cost bock
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 08:53:20 PM »
JT the good news is that the brewery is now using some Rahr 2row for at least 1 of their brews. I saw pallets of it in the back a little while back. Chris said they are not planning on offering it in the shop, they will order a sack on prepay.

Just tell Dan to get some decent damn malt!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 08:57:56 PM »
JT the good news is that the brewery is now using some Rahr 2row for at least 1 of their brews. I saw pallets of it in the back a little while back. Chris said they are not planning on offering it in the shop, they will order a sack on prepay.

I'm certainly not above name dropping! 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 08:58:34 PM »

I'm certainly not above name dropping!

Be my guest...we know each other pretty well.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »
He stocks good/great continental malts (that judgement is above my pay grade/experience) but the rest of what they offer is generally Briess. When I mentioned wanting better, I got odd looks at both Dan's place (not from Dan himself) and another local shop
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  
In the works: Hopefully brewing 10 gallons of Pilsner tomorrow for a family reunion in July, then back to IPA and  a barleywine to age

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 09:05:18 PM »
He stocks good/great continental malts (that judgement is above my pay grade/experience) but the rest of what they offer is generally Briess. When I mentioned wanting better, I got odd looks at both Dan's place (not from Dan himself) and another local shop
Looking online, Briess doesn't appear to be cheap.  Maybe that is the thought process?  I can't really say one way or another, as my beers have either been made with Briess or Maris Otter as a base.  I don't dislike Briess, but don't know if I'd like another base malt more. 

Offline 69franx

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 09:08:21 PM »
Yes, the only batch I have made without Briess as the 2 row maltster  is Denny's BVIP which is wonderful with Rahr 2row, but I've never had it any other way
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  
In the works: Hopefully brewing 10 gallons of Pilsner tomorrow for a family reunion in July, then back to IPA and  a barleywine to age

Offline 69franx

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 09:09:27 PM »
Price is the other nice benefit: got my sack of Rahr 2row for less than Briess but don't remember how much less
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 05:27:44 PM »
Next on my schedule is a maibock. In an effort to save money I was thinking of getting Briess 2-row and Briess munich instead German pilsner and German munich.
I already have German tettnang and German yeast.
Okay? Not okay?

IMO, a very, very bad decision.  For one thing, my opinion is that Briess malts just don't taste good.  My own tries at maibock have used several different continental pils malts and even there, there was a large difference in the flavor.  I'd really advise to you break down and spring for the continental malts.  Pils and carahell are all you need to make a killer maibock.
The two row is Great western not Briess, but the munich is Briess.
Pils and carahell? What percentages?
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2015, 05:33:11 PM »
OP might be on a tight budget with his brewing where ~$0.20/lb. over the year matters.

I would look at the avangard malts, which are often selling competitively with domestic products. If you can't find them in your area then I'd probably opt for a domestic pils as a base and try to spend a little extra to get a German munich.
It's 0.30 in this case. And I don't usually quibble over the cost, but with Valentine's day coming up I have less discretionary money available this month than normal.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2015, 05:36:09 PM »
Yeah, the Avangard malts are a great idea. They are German, but are cheaper than other imported malts. And the quality is excellent.
Jon H.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2015, 05:31:06 PM »
Pils and carahell are all you need to make a killer maibock.
[/quote]

It's a moot point as I just checked on my LHBS webpage and no carahell, but I am going to get the German malts for this batch.
The plan now is 75% pils and 25% munich, hopped with tettnanger (30 IBUs) and fermented with S-189
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • View Profile
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2015, 06:17:28 PM »
Pils and carahell are all you need to make a killer maibock.

It's a moot point as I just checked on my LHBS webpage and no carahell, but I am going to get the German malts for this batch.
The plan now is 75% pils and 25% munich, hopped with tettnanger (30 IBUs) and fermented with S-189
[/quote]

90/10 or 85/15
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde