Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Mill Break-In  (Read 5350 times)

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
Re: Grain Mill Break-In
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 10:04:37 am »
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Malt_Conditioning

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Beat me to it, had a crap storm when I walked into work today....

Pay attention the the amount of water you need, it makes all the difference. I ran my BC at .37 or .38 and had some serious flour and dough balls when I masshed in...but almost all of the husks were intact, and had no issue with slow/stuck sparge. Might even pull it down even tighter for the brew after next, the next brew is 50% wheat, so, yeah....not gonna do it on that one
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 09:34:35 pm »
Odd question here, but it does pertain to breaking in a new mill, or as in my case, just beginning to use a mill at home. After milling my grist, their is grain dust all over the mill and base. Should I be trying to brush that in with the rest of the milled grain? Is is just dust and not necessary? I really had not thought of it when using the mill at LHBS, as I was not trying to clean or store that mill. I now see a lot of build up static clinging to my mill and the base of my mill. Do I need to get as much of this in as possible to protect my efficiency or is it essentially unwanted debris?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 09:42:39 pm »

Odd question here, but it does pertain to breaking in a new mill, or as in my case, just beginning to use a mill at home. After milling my grist, their is grain dust all over the mill and base. Should I be trying to brush that in with the rest of the milled grain? Is is just dust and not necessary? I really had not thought of it when using the mill at LHBS, as I was not trying to clean or store that mill. I now see a lot of build up static clinging to my mill and the base of my mill. Do I need to get as much of this in as possible to protect my efficiency or is it essentially unwanted debris?
I knock my mill a few times with my palm to knock some loose but overall I don't think it matters.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 08:43:08 am »
Thanks Steve
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2015, 12:55:40 pm »
This time of year the static is a real pain when milling into a plastic bucket.  You don't lose enough dust to worry about but it can be a real pain to clean up.

I'm in the process of adding acrylic panels to my mill table so I can hook up my workshop dust collector to suck up the dust while I'm milling.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2015, 02:49:14 pm »
I'm in the process of adding acrylic panels to my mill table so I can hook up my workshop dust collector to suck up the dust while I'm milling.

Paul
Sounds like a good idea. Hopefully you won't find an empty bucket after you mill 20lbs of grain. ;)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 04:10:02 pm »
Just a quick update and question on my Barley Crusher...I've put around 25 or so pounds of grain through it and I noticed yesterday that the hand-cranking seemed much easier than the first time I used it.

Is it possible that the rollers loosened up and are making for a wider gap and an easier hand-crank? If so, how would I spot check the gap again to ensure that the .039" is there?

I should mention that my vorleuf was very quick this last batch. By quick I mean I only vorleuf'd (sp) about 2 quarts where I'm generally doing 4 or more. My point is that the grain bed is working so I don't think my crush is way off.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:27:27 pm by flbrewer »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2015, 04:21:57 pm »
You will want to get feeler gauges at some point. Cheap at harbor freight. They come coated in oil, so don't be shocked. Just stack them for the gap you want and wipe them down.

A credit card is about 0.030" thick, so you could compare it to something else and try that. I used my Costco card once. I think it is about 0.035" thick.

My guess is you are breaking in the bushings vs. the gap widening. Check the set screws and gap before each use to make sure they haven't wandered.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2015, 04:30:39 pm »
I've had one since 2007 and they do require regular maintenance to keep functioning re: stuck passive roller etc; you gotta take it apart and you'll learn every piece. Whenever the f'ing #13 oring breaks I replace it. Think I might have graduated to running two rings now. Crush is still acceptable. I'm gonna send the rollers in for a retrofit so that's good to know about the lifetime warranty.

I'd go with another brand to do it again tho. ???

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2015, 04:34:08 pm »
I've had one since 2007 and they do require regular maintenance to keep functioning re: stuck passive roller etc; you gotta take it apart and you'll learn every piece. Whenever the f'ing #13 oring breaks I replace it. Think I might have graduated to running two rings now. Crush is still acceptable. I'm gonna send the rollers in for a retrofit so that's good to know about the lifetime warranty.

I'd go with another brand to do it again tho. ???

I inquired about the o ring and was told it really serves no purpose after manufacturing. Mine is on the move though and I may just snip it off.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2015, 04:39:37 pm »
Once the knurls start to wear, and the roller stops responding- remember it's a #13 oring. ;D Easy to slip on and solves yer problem. Why do you think they ship it with one? So that it works first time.

Enjoy the new mill!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis