Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Apps?  (Read 9144 times)

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
Brewing Apps?
« on: January 29, 2015, 05:27:26 pm »
Looking for an all in one brewing app for my iPad.  Any recommendations?  I thought about these: Ibrewmaster, BeerSmith and BeerAlchemy.  Any suggestion, comments, etc.

I would also consider brewing software for my laptop.  The iPad is a little more handy, but really looking for something to help my brewing sessions.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:02:27 pm by Indy574 »

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
Re: Brewing Apps?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 05:53:01 pm »
Beer alchemy or Brewers friend
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:33:06 pm »
I use beersmith  and like it a lot. I only have it on lap top so far, did not pay for mobile upgrade. I have trial of pro mash on laptop  as well but after beersmith, it does not seem as user friendly. I know it's well loved, but I found it tougher to find my way through it in comparison. It just did not seem as user friendly, seemed to require a longer learning curve than beersmith. Just my opinion, as I know others swear by it, or at least did while it was regularly uodated
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:35:02 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 06:37:40 pm »
Beersmith here.  Love it.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:59:24 pm »
I use Beersmith but question some of the calculations. It's a good point of reference.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 08:43:46 pm »
I run into the same thing with Beersmith where the calcs don't work out like they are supposed to.  I think it is a great starting point and as long as you keep detailed notes you can adjust for the differences.
Run then beer.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 10:37:57 pm »
Brewer's Friend is a fantastic web-based brewing suite. If you're looking for something that you can use from multiple devices, that's where I'd start. It's nice to sketch out a recipe on my work computer, pull up the ingredient list on my phone at the LHBS, calculate my mash temps on my laptop, then log my brew day on my tablet.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Multifaceted

• Cellarman
  • Jerk of All Trades
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 10:25:19 am »
I use the BeerSmith app on my phone. Set up an account with BeerSmithrecipes.com and you get cloud storage at no charge with room for up to 10 recipes. The app is a little clunky for building recipes, but for modifying them on the fly, referencing, and the integrated tools - it still comes in really handy on brew day. Also, the cloud storage is useful for shopping at LHBS or for altering a recipe for what's/what's not in stock.

Offline mbalbritton

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 05:15:03 pm »
I have brewers friend but I always seem to forget to use it. I just use my timer and save paper copies of my recipes.

Brewers friend seems pretty comprehensive and I have the free version. Just forget to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 05:17:34 pm »
I have been meaning to switch over to Brewer's Friend. The workflow is a little more involved than I like, but overall the program seems solid. I especially like that I can work on it from near any device. Someday I will move over, but I have to decide if I want to spend the time moving all of my recipes (not that big of a deal with BeerXML), and batches over (complete PIA).

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 05:51:00 pm »
I have been researching a little more and I feel it's between Brewer's Friend and BeerSmith.  I may be looking at something wrong but does Brewer's Friend require a yearly fee?  Thanks for all the responses and please keep them coming.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 06:15:39 pm »
Beersmith here.  Love it.
I use beersmith  and like it a lot. I only have it on lap top so far, did not pay for mobile upgrade. I have trial of pro mash on laptop  as well but after beersmith, it does not seem as user friendly. I know it's well loved, but I found it tougher to find my way through it in comparison. It just did not seem as user friendly, seemed to require a longer learning curve than beersmith. Just my opinion, as I know others swear by it, or at least did while it was regularly uodated

+1

Same here. Love my BeerSmith!

There was another post somewhere in this forum recently about what was the one thing/purchase that made the most impact on your brewing. I didn't respond, but if I did, my answer would have been BeerSmith software.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline TMX

• Assistant Brewer
  • Evolution of the next Revolution
    • TxBrewing
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 09:13:55 pm »
There is a free version and a paid version of Brewers Friend. I have the paid version, also there is a newer online free service called MyBrewCo, have not had a lot of time to play with that yet
"The ART of brewing Beer, is the ACT of brewing Beer"
https://txbrewing.wordpress.com

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 01:18:02 pm »
I have been researching a little more and I feel it's between Brewer's Friend and BeerSmith.  I may be looking at something wrong but does Brewer's Friend require a yearly fee?  Thanks for all the responses and please keep them coming.
You can save 2 recipes as a free trial. Paid version is $9.99/yr IIRC
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reprotector

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 09:12:40 am »
I've just released a new app for iOS! It's called Brewer! and it helps the management and creation of beer recipes.

Check it out and let me know your feedbacks. http://bit.ly/brewerapp