Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flux for Silver Soldering Stainless  (Read 1136 times)

Offline rednender

• 1st Kit
Flux for Silver Soldering Stainless
« on: April 14, 2018, 03:09:55 pm »
I am having a bit of trouble finding a good answer to this.  I know stainless requires a special flux to break down the oxide barrier.  I have found a few different options and some state their composition; however, I am unclear on which are best used in a potable water/food application.  I came across one that specifically stated that it was not for use in potable water systems.

What should I be looking for in a flux to make sure my solders are food safe?

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
Re: Flux for Silver Soldering Stainless
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 04:37:14 pm »
I am having a bit of trouble finding a good answer to this.  I know stainless requires a special flux to break down the oxide barrier.  I have found a few different options and some state their composition; however, I am unclear on which are best used in a potable water/food application.  I came across one that specifically stated that it was not for use in potable water systems.

You want Stay-Clean Liquid Flux by Harris.  Anything else is questionable.  It's the dope sh!t ;D

After soldering, clean the burnt flux with fresh flux.  Then clean the fresh flux with acetone.  Then a repassivizing step with with BKF or other [qualifying] acidic compound should be sufficient.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:40:44 pm by stpug »

Offline rednender

• 1st Kit
Re: Flux for Silver Soldering Stainless
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 05:07:22 pm »

You want Stay-Clean Liquid Flux by Harris.  Anything else is questionable.  It's the dope sh!t ;D

After soldering, clean the burnt flux with fresh flux.  Then clean the fresh flux with acetone.  Then a repassivizing step with with BKF or other [qualifying] acidic compound should be sufficient.

Thanks for the tips and the recommendation!  I noticed that's the same flux that Brew Hardware includes in their silver solder kits.