Author Topic: Berliner Weiss Style  (Read 949 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
Berliner Weiss Style
« on: January 30, 2015, 12:38:26 AM »
Enjoying this right now, a lot. I really enjoy the style and I'm curious how tough it is to brew the style. I understand there are multiple ways to sour a beer, I'd like the quick and dirty way.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:01:54 AM by flbrewer »

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
    • View Profile
Re: Berliner Weiss Style
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 01:28:24 AM »
I made one last summer. I added un-milled grain to wort that was 120 degrees for 24 hours. Then, I boiled, chilled and added ale yeast. It wasn't sour enough, so I should've let it go for another day or so. I'm going to give it another try next summer because it's an enjoyable style in those hot months.
Dan Chisholm

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 03:43:04 PM »
Even around 120F you need 3-4 days at a minimum to get a good amount of sourness just by adding grain to wort.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 08:31:07 PM »
What are you doing to keep it at that kind of temp for that long? Just curious as SWMBO is interested in me brewing one sometime
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  
In the works: Hopefully brewing 10 gallons of Pilsner tomorrow for a family reunion in July, then back to IPA and  a barleywine to age

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 09:17:01 PM »
What are you doing to keep it at that kind of temp for that long? Just curious as SWMBO is interested in me brewing one sometime

I am planning on using my trusty, dusty, Igloo 64 qt. cooler. I have to do some testing, but it holds cold like a champ, I would think w. infrequent additions of warm water it could do the same in the other direction.

Offline 69franx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 09:23:22 PM »
I have a hard time believing a cooler will hold 120 degrees for 3 or 4 days but I'll cross my fingers for you as I would like to try it out in the future
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  
In the works: Hopefully brewing 10 gallons of Pilsner tomorrow for a family reunion in July, then back to IPA and  a barleywine to age

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 09:31:01 PM »
I kept it in a cooler/mash tun with a thick sleeping bag around it. It really only dropped a couple of degrees after 24 hours. I'm not sure how much it would drop after 3 days, but as long as it was not lower than 100 degrees it should still be fine.
Dan Chisholm

Offline 69franx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 09:38:15 PM »
Thanks, good to know
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  

Offline brewday

• Brewer
  • Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 09:39:01 PM »
Here's mine.  I use a lacto starter instead of the grains.  I hold the starter temp in a cooler and the fermenter temp in the chamber, both with a heating pad.

Grist
60% German Pils
40% Wheat

Hops
Hallertauer (added to mash, no hops in boil – 1 oz leaf/5 gallon batch)

Mash
149° for 60 min (decoction mash optional)

Boil
None

Fermentation
Wyeast 5335 – Lactobacillus
Wyeast 1007 – German Ale
Wyeast 5526 – Brettanomyces Lambicus (optional)

Special Process
Make Lacto starter @90° and hold temp for 1 week (no oxygen)
Pitch Lacto @90° and hold temp for 1 week (no oxygen)
Oxygenate & Pitch Wyeast 1007 @65° (along with Brettanomyces, optional)
Ferment as usual
Age on fruit (optional)
Jon Weaver

Offline brewinhard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 11:37:39 PM »

I am planning on using my trusty, dusty, Igloo 64 qt. cooler. I have to do some testing, but it holds cold like a champ, I would think w. infrequent additions of warm water it could do the same in the other direction.

When sour mashing, be wary of adding more water as stirring and splashing can introduce oxygen into the mash and will allow enteric bacteria to flourish which can lead to the classic sour mash off-flavors (butyric/vomit, dirty socks, etc).  Always to minimize oxygen when doing a sour mash.  A flushed corny keg is a great way to prevent this. 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 03:54:55 PM »

I usually only sour a portion of the wort--I sparge and hit the wort with a quick boil--and pour it into a growler or 5l jug as appropriate. There is a reptile tank heating product that is like fermwrap but cheaper that I wrap around the container and attach to my temperature controller. It then goes in the small fridge I use for fermentation. I have no problems keeping it warm in there.

Other people do a similar thing but they put the wort in a corny and put that in a cooler with water with one of those water heaters used to keep water from freezing for livestock.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 01:27:46 PM »
Saw this today on the front page...seems simple enough although I don't know where you find sour cherries.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/its-all-mine-so-keep-back-berliner-weisse-recipe/

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 02:57:11 PM »

Even around 120F you need 3-4 days at a minimum to get a good amount of sourness just by adding grain to wort.

Do you pitch lacto or just raw grains?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »
I made one last summer. I added un-milled grain to wort that was 120 degrees for 24 hours. Then, I boiled, chilled and added ale yeast. It wasn't sour enough, so I should've let it go for another day or so. I'm going to give it another try next summer because it's an enjoyable style in those hot months.
I know someone who makes lots of berliners that are plenty sour after 24 hours using grain. I think the difference is that souring speed depends on both time and inoculation rate. Since the amount of grain surely impacts the amount of bacteria you're adding, more grain will result in shorter souring times.

He uses 1lb of malted barley per 5 gallons of wort and has very tart berliners after 24 hours. 12-18 hours gets light, but still noticeable, tartness.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 04:14:11 PM »
When would he add the raw grain to thee wort? I'd love to be able to give this a try as a split batch on some existing beers. Perhaps racking a gallon or two into a smaller glass carboy.