Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Misses the "memo" on sanitation  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Misses the "memo" on sanitation
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:00:33 am »
I'm a "newbie" and finally realized I'm supposed to sanitize after cleaning.  However, I've brewed 10 times without a single bottle of spoiled beer. 

I've been using PBW and cleaning thoroughly, but have never sanitized any of my equipment.

My last batch was the first in my 10-gal pot with a valve, so I've decided I better go buy some star-san and get with the program as the valve might not be as sample to clean as a pot without the valve.

Comments please.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Misses the "memo" on sanitation
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 08:08:55 am »
All I can say is, start sanitizing
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:13:26 am »
Bad sanitization doesn't = infection, bad sanitization= greatly increased chance of infection. On any given batch if you pitch healthy yeast they have a great advantage, but eventually you will get infections with poorly sanitized equipment.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 08:20:17 am »
Bad sanitization doesn't = infection, bad sanitization= greatly increased chance of infection. On any given batch if you pitch healthy yeast they have a great advantage, but eventually you will get infections with poorly sanitized equipment.
Another thing is that the infection may take a while to show up, or might not be obvious. If your bottled beer starts to become overcarbonated, then this is a telltale sign.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 08:25:41 am »
that said, I wouldn't worry too much about the valve on your boil kettle. It's going to get very very hot during the boil. but yes, clean then sanitize for best results.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 08:30:11 am »

This.  IME, the brewing process is often more forgiving than we give it credit for but sanitizing is not something you want to overlook.  You may get lucky for awhile, but it will catch up with you.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 08:39:10 am »

This.  IME, the brewing process is often more forgiving than we give it credit for but sanitizing is not something you want to overlook.  You may get lucky for awhile, but it will catch up with you.

+2
Jon H.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 02:06:06 pm »
Bad bugs will also build up on equipment, so new equipment may work OK, but after a while it will inoculate your wort fairly heavily.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 02:38:06 pm »
Bad bugs will also build up on equipment, so new equipment may work OK, but after a while it will inoculate your wort fairly heavily.
Good point. Once you have them and you don't sanitize forget it. And some bugs, even if outcompeted by yeast, flourish after the yeast becomes less active.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 02:44:47 pm »
In my experience, Ales are the bigger problem in terms of sanitation concerns, as the colder lager beers don't seem to be at a temperature that promotes a lot of bacterial issues and one typically pitches pretty large amounts of lager yeast.  Even so, applying a good cleaner, then a thorough rinse and then a sanitizer should be standard protocol for all home brewers.  Now with my sours, I want certain bugs in there...but that's another story.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 07:32:21 pm »
Cleaning is way, way, WAY more important than sanitizing. You simply can't sanitize something dirty. Cleaning removes most germs. Sanitizing simply helps insure the cleaning process.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 08:35:11 pm »
Cleaning is way, way, WAY more important than sanitizing. You simply can't sanitize something dirty. Cleaning removes most germs. Sanitizing simply helps insure the cleaning process.
^^^ Totally agree.