Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First All Grain Batch  (Read 4824 times)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: First All Grain Batch
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 09:10:09 am »
Okay-in each gallon jug; how many mls should I add and should I keep the starter wort at about 1.040?  How many days prior to a Saturday brew session should I start them?

Finally, in regards to the Magnum hops (I just purchased them from hops direct), how many ounces should I add to my recipe above?

KEEP IT SIMPLE!  Follow the "10 to 1 rule."   Use 10 times the water for each unit of DME.  
For example, use "1000 ml of water for 100 grams of DME."  or
use "60 fl oz for 6 oz of DME."
Just make sure you're using the correct units (i.e., mls water and gms of DME, or fl oz water and oz DME)
The following website may be helpful: http://hbd.org/uchima/yeaststart/yeaststart.html

Magnum hops have high AA %, use a program like BeerSmith or an online calculator to determine your additions and amounts (it all depends on the IBU's you want to have for the beer style you're shooting for).  Consequently, the amounts added and the boil times play a role in the final IBU number (bitterness from hops).  You need to decide what beer style you're shooting for (is it a pale ale or an IPA?)

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 09:11:46 am »
The Magnum (whole) is 10.5 and the Fuggle (pellets) is 4.0

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 09:28:01 am »
IMO:
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2oz Magnum [10.50 %] (90 min) Hops 31.5 IBU
1oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
1oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (30 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
1oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
1oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.5 IBU

total 51.3 IBU (That's a lot but will be very smooth with the magnum, but make sure you do the Magnum full boil)

Also 350 g DME in 3.5 quart for each starter (you need some shakin' room)

Make one starter with the whole vial, then make the other, while it's cooling, pour half the first starter into the second jug, then top off both to 3.5 quarts!

Dave
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 09:35:00 am »
Great advice Dave.  I know that this beer does not fit any specific category but I was interested in something similar to an English IPA but did not want to dry hop or make it too bitter (so I can test it out on some neighbors). 

Regarding the starters-how many days before brew day should I start this process?

Thanks, Bill

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 09:42:59 am »
Are you sure you want to start with a 7% beer?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 09:43:35 am »

Regarding the starters-how many days before brew day should I start this process?

Start them like 5 days ahead of time or so.  Let them ferment out for three or four days and then the night before brewday pop them in the fridge to crash the yeast.  When you're ready to pitch decant off the starter wort and pitch the slurry.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 09:48:02 am »
I will start the Wyeast starters today.  In regards to 7% beer, my neighbors also enjoy a big beer but one that is balanced and not, as they would say, overly bitter.  That, in a nutshell, is the art of brewing-balancing out the elements.