Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Competition changes your category  (Read 4193 times)

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Competition changes your category
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 07:07:01 pm »
Yeah I won't be entering this competition next year. What's scary is to quote the coordinator "It gets judged the same no matter what category it is in". Uh, no, how it gets judged is highly dpendant on the style guidelines for that category. We've traded emails back and forth, but that this point I'm going to demand the original category, then contact BJCP to file a complaint.

*sigh*
if it is not in the category you want it, then they owe you $8 IMO.
I agree. And I'm really speechless about this.

well, at least SOMETHING good came out of all this!
;)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 07:37:40 pm »
If you submit to the wrong category, the judges can tell you you're out of style.

No one should change the category to which you submit.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 09:35:47 pm »
I'm in the same boat, had my fruit beer moved to category 34 against my will.  Worse still, it is a clean fermented beer with tartness only from the fruit.

There are no style guidelines published for this category, just the name "specialty sour and brett beers".
I had to dig pretty deep in the competition web site just to find out they even had this special category, sure didn't know about it up front.

I've seen it before where other competitions have a specialty IPA category or similar, in that case it was prominently noted that any specialty IPA's entered in 16E or 23 would be moved to the "Specialty IPA" category.  I have no problem with that, as long as you know what you're getting into up front.

Why do I get the feeling we're talking about the same comp? Judging in two weeks?

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 07:06:50 am »
I just want to go on the record and say that while KCBM 32 matches nearly all of the qualities of the comp mentioned here (judging dates, same circuits), it is certainly not KCBM 32. We would not move an entry and will call the entrant directly if we think that there is confusion to ask the entrant what they want to do.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 07:45:47 am »
I just want to go on the record and say that while KCBM 32 matches nearly all of the qualities of the comp mentioned here (judging dates, same circuits), it is certainly not KCBM 32. We would not move an entry and will call the entrant directly if we think that there is confusion to ask the entrant what they want to do.

It's not KCBM 32.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 09:02:19 am »
Is it in Texas?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 01:48:34 pm »
Is it in Texas?

No. Sod it, it's Midwinter Homebrew in Milwaukee.

Offline jeffjm

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 02:34:12 pm »
Something doesn't add up. Mid-Winter is using 2008 guidelines according to their web site, so there shouldn't be a category 34 in the first place.

Maybe they split categories apart and your entry landed in Table 34, or Medal Category (not BJCP category) 34?
I set out running but I take my time.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 03:24:19 pm »
Something doesn't add up. Mid-Winter is using 2008 guidelines according to their web site, so there shouldn't be a category 34 in the first place.

Maybe they split categories apart and your entry landed in Table 34, or Medal Category (not BJCP category) 34?

They are judging to 2008 BJCP but have added some extra categories looking forwards to 2014 such as Specialty IPA, Brett/Sour, Aussie Ales etc. My issue is that there is a disregard to my wishes as an entrant regarding which category I want to enter, and the fact that it's assumed that wild notes in 2008 20A is a negative.

I was told that since cat. 20 is a small group it's being combined with cat. 21 and so I would stand a better chance being judged against brett/sour rather than judged against spiced. But I'm not being judged against spice beers. because I should be judged as a fruit beer, as the assigned category.

It's not a group or table issue. I'm clearly looking at a 34A Specialty Brett / Sour Ale reassignment right now.