Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Extreme Weather Brewing  (Read 9471 times)

Offline jeffjm

• Cellarman
Re: Extreme Weather Brewing
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 05:57:18 pm »
On the other hand, when it's 104 and your forehead is dripping sweat into the boil kettle and mash tun - cold weather sounds really good.
I set out running but I take my time.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 06:05:08 pm »
No flies!

No, but the heat stirs up some stink bugs in the winter. Those things are relentless!

Stink bugs?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 06:13:10 pm »
No flies!

No, but the heat stirs up some stink bugs in the winter. Those things are relentless!

Stink bugs?

Yeah, these things showed up in the Ohio, PA, and WV tristate area about 5 years ago. They swarm towards the end of the summer into fall. They do dormant in the cold, but a little bit of warmth gets them riled up. I saw two in the garage today. I think they came from China or something. They're a real PITA.
Frank

Offline lonelymtn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 06:52:02 pm »

Yeah, these things showed up in the Ohio, PA, and WV tristate area about 5 years ago. They swarm towards the end of the summer into fall. They do dormant in the cold, but a little bit of warmth gets them riled up. I saw two in the garage today. I think they came from China or something. They're a real PITA.

Not to derail your thread, but these things?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentatomidae

The species you are dealing with now is probably the one introduced from China in 98, but there have been others in the family in the South for many generations.  Mostly the Rice Stink Bug:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_stink_bug

As kids, we were generally were told to get away from them as fast as you can :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:56:56 pm by ryanc »

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 07:28:39 pm »
Yeah... The first one... Bastards...
Frank

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 06:17:11 am »
I find stink bugs in my house during the winter. Just one at a time. They don't do much. My bees are always interested in my worth. Maybe I should feed them worth instead of sugar this spring. Beer flavored honey?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 06:25:34 am »
I find stink bugs in my house during the winter. Just one at a time. They don't do much. My bees are always interested in my worth. Maybe I should feed them worth instead of sugar this spring. Beer flavored honey?

You might be onto something here!
Frank

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 06:42:01 am »
Stupid auto correct! Wort! You know you are a homebrewer if you have saved the words wort and pellicle on your Android.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 07:37:38 am »
-4 Fahrenheit here when I woke up. I figured what the hell. Especially when I saw the forecast which predicts another foot of snow starting tonight. So I'm mashing in the kitchen. I'm gonna brave the outdoors for the boil though. Maybe it'll warm up a few degrees by then.
Frank C.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 08:08:23 am »
-4 Fahrenheit here when I woke up. I figured what the hell. Especially when I saw the forecast which predicts another foot of snow starting tonight. So I'm mashing in the kitchen. I'm gonna brave the outdoors for the boil though. Maybe it'll warm up a few degrees by then.
Way better than yesterday. Was it crazy windy down there yesterday? That being said I'm brewing in the kitchen right now but you may have inspired me to boil on the deck. Would save 10 minutes.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2015, 08:10:37 am »
Stupid auto correct! Wort! You know you are a homebrewer if you have saved the words wort and pellicle on your Android.

IPA and APA get autocapitalized on mine lol.
Frank

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2015, 08:26:43 am »
We have a forecast of rain today.  Cool front moving in.  I have to deploy the Dallas Cowboy Blue E-Z Up canopy to brew under this AM.  I just started the mash timer for a St Pat's Irish Ale.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2015, 08:43:57 am »
No flies!

Stink bugs?

yeah they suck. smash one and look out....that's why they are called stink bugs.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2015, 09:48:54 am »
I'm not brewing yet, but had planned to today. Glad I'm not planning to brew outside because the wind is blow from the northeast at 24 gusting to to 38, snowing with blowing snow and 27F. No thank you! Might be doing 4.5 gallons of black IPA later. Haven't decided. I've brewed every weekend so far this year...maybe feels like I need a week off. But I'll probably still end up brewing.
Jesse

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2015, 09:59:12 am »
Way better than yesterday. Was it crazy windy down there yesterday? That being said I'm brewing in the kitchen right now but you may have inspired me to boil on the deck. Would save 10 minutes.

No, you're probably better off in the kitchen. It took a wicked long time to come up to boil. But it's going now, and soon it'll be time to chill it--that shouldn't take long in this weather.
Frank C.