Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Extreme Weather Brewing  (Read 9468 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Extreme Weather Brewing
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2015, 10:00:46 am »
I'm not brewing yet, but had planned to today. Glad I'm not planning to brew outside because the wind is blow from the northeast at 24 gusting to to 38, snowing with blowing snow and 27F. No thank you! Might be doing 4.5 gallons of black IPA later. Haven't decided. I've brewed every weekend so far this year...maybe feels like I need a week off. But I'll probably still end up brewing.

Of course you will!  ;)
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2015, 07:38:49 pm »
I've never had any place to brew inside.  Hate the heat, cold brewing is much better.  As long as the hose has a trickle, and doesn't freeze, good to go.  Haven't brewed in single digits.  That is only because my planned day wasn't that cold.  I pick my days and what it is, is what it is.  Can't do the rain though.  I need a temp roof over my deck.
Jeff B

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 08:25:40 am »
I've never had any place to brew inside.  Hate the heat, cold brewing is much better.  As long as the hose has a trickle, and doesn't freeze, good to go.  Haven't brewed in single digits.  That is only because my planned day wasn't that cold.  I pick my days and what it is, is what it is.  Can't do the rain though.  I need a temp roof over my deck.

I usually pull my hoses into the basement the night before. Not only are they usually frozen solid when it's 0 out, but they don't uncoil at all.
Frank

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2015, 11:26:01 am »

I use one of those portable awning things when I get stuck with a rainy day.  I still get wet going from the house to the awning (I have to leave a gap to open the screen door) but the kettle stays out of the rain.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2015, 06:30:26 pm »

I use one of those portable awning things when I get stuck with a rainy day.  I still get wet going from the house to the awning (I have to leave a gap to open the screen door) but the kettle stays out of the rain.

Paul

I've been thinking about rigging something up.  I really like brewing outside.  I've put up a nice privacy screen, and added a utility sink this year.  I too bring in my hoses.  My faucet is 30' away.  I'm installing hot and cold silcocks this weekend so I can shorten my hoses.
Jeff B

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2015, 09:37:10 pm »
I have brewed outside in the snow, rain, wind, -3 degrees, etc. But no more. Now I brew in  my nice comfy climate controlled brewery in the basement.  ;)

I am there now and just kegged my ESB I brewed 2 weeks ago when it was snowing and 20 degrees outside.

Brew on hardy brewers !
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline Statsmats

• 1st Kit
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 09:32:48 pm »
I've brewed a few times in the MN winter wonderland...last time was so darn cold I closed the garage door...the sweet wort smell (stench as my wife calls it) pervaded the house and caused a stir...I promised not to make beer in the garage unless I could keep the door open so I'm waiting until March.

Oh well...I'm enjoying all the fruits of my previous labors and am busy making empty bottles for the next round of batches. :D

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2015, 09:05:12 am »
-6 when I fired up the mash water this morning. Good thing this beer has FWH and flameout hops during this 90 minute boil!
Frank

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 09:25:07 am »
It is snowing 2" per hour now, expecting 10+.   I'm going to be shoveling snow from around the brewery today and tonight.  If not, brewing Sat and Sun will be a PIA!  Going Alt Sat, Kolsch Sun, and doing lagers the next few weekends.  Going to -10 over the next few nights.  Just part of Extreme Weather Brewing!   
Jeff B

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 03:40:48 am »
I've brewed a few times in the MN winter wonderland...last time was so darn cold I closed the garage door...the sweet wort smell (stench as my wife calls it) pervaded the house and caused a stir...I promised not to make beer in the garage unless I could keep the door open so I'm waiting until March.

Oh well...I'm enjoying all the fruits of my previous labors and am busy making empty bottles for the next round of batches. :D
Carbon monoxide poisoning kills people every year.  Unless you know exactly how much carbon monoxide your burner creates (and it will vary based on your setting and how clean you are burning) I would not do this. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:43:02 am by JT »

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 06:39:04 am »
Southeastern Michigan is down around minus-OMG this morning ("Michigan" is from the Native American word for "my ears just froze off), and I plan to brew a nice IPA. But I will show great wisdom by combining two of prehistory's greatest discoveries - "Inside" and "Fire". This combination will provide a warm and toasty kitchen in which to practice the zymurgial arts. If I feel the need to commune with Winter, I'll have a beer and wait for the feeling to pass.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 06:52:01 am »
Today is a 5 gallon batch in the kitchen, well the mash and sparge, the boil will be in the garage. We are having a heat wave, 3F above, it was -14F yesterday. Northeast of here was even colder, lots of -20 and lower in much of the state.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2015, 07:11:10 am »
Today is a 5 gallon batch in the kitchen, well the mash and sparge, the boil will be in the garage. We are having a heat wave, 3F above, it was -14F yesterday. Northeast of here was even colder, lots of -20 and lower in much of the state.

I'm thinking this could be my process this weekend.  Expecting snow Sat, but will be in the high 20's.  That would be like a heat wave for you.  Going down to -15 tonight.  Coldest temp here in 12 years. 

Jeff B

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 02:01:41 pm »
The cold front is coming through right now bringing a low that is expected to be 54 tonight.  My planned brew day, Sunday, looks like a high of 79 and sunny.  I think I'll brew outside.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2015, 02:17:40 pm »

I'm thinking this could be my process this weekend.  Expecting snow Sat, but will be in the high 20's.  That would be like a heat wave for you.  Going down to -15 tonight.  Coldest temp here in 12 years. 

I did this last night, five gallon batch in the kitchen. I was concerned about doing the boil in the kitchen too, but you never know till you try. It wasn't bad. I closed all the kitchen doors, and I had the cellar door open, which seemed to dissipate some of the steam. It wasn't bad at all; only the kitchen smelled like a brewery--which, I suppose, it was. As a matter of fact, it was the most comfortable brew session I've had since the fall. The wife was really nice about it--of course, I was brewing one of her favorites. 
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'