Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Starter Glitch with Corn Sugar?  (Read 5969 times)

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
Yeast Starter Glitch with Corn Sugar?
« on: May 30, 2010, 03:38:06 pm »
I ran out of Dried Malt Extract and need to make a yeast starter.  My local homebrew shop is not open until after Monday.  Can I make a yeast starter with Corn sugar?  I have a stir plate, Yeast Hulls, Yeast Nutrients, Servomyces, DAP, Go-ferm, and Fermaid-K, but no DME.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: Yeast Starter Glitch with Corn Sugar?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 07:34:36 pm »
I ran out of Dried Malt Extract and need to make a yeast starter.  My local homebrew shop is not open until after Monday.  Can I make a yeast starter with Corn sugar?  I have a stir plate, Yeast Hulls, Yeast Nutrients, Servomyces, DAP, Go-ferm, and Fermaid-K, but no DME.

If it were me, I'd just wait till I could get some extract.  The sugar will probably start it up, but  I think that the yeasties like to be started up on the food they'll ultimately be eating...malt.  If you start them up with dextrose, they may not be quite as healthy (kind of like the apparent effect of dextrose on people).
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 08:25:15 pm »
I was thinking the same thing but just wanted to make sure.  Darn...this is going to push my brewing schedule back one week.  I had to bottle the 3 different brews that are in the freezer chest, then i was going to rack the other 3 brews that are in the fermenters and cold condition them so i could brew some more beers.  I really dropped the ball on this one, now everything gets pushed back.  I need to start taking closer look at my inventory...
Thanks for the suggestion, i really appreciate it.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline ridesalot

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 10:51:10 pm »
well, this is a later post, but i think people still may read this. If you are making a starter, im assuming you already have your grains, right?  well try this out---heat a litre of water to 150 degrees. Put one cup of grain in the heated water and steep for an hour. you won't miss one cup of grain. then boil for 5 minutes, pour it into your flask, cover with foil , let cool to room temp and pitch yeast and nutrient. bingo-- starter in a pinch.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 04:47:51 pm »
well, this is a later post, but i think people still may read this. If you are making a starter, im assuming you already have your grains, right?  well try this out---heat a litre of water to 150 degrees. Put one cup of grain in the heated water and steep for an hour. you won't miss one cup of grain. then boil for 5 minutes, pour it into your flask, cover with foil , let cool to room temp and pitch yeast and nutrient. bingo-- starter in a pinch.

Cool tip...

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 07:36:04 pm »
The dry yeast manufacturers propagate yeast using molasses as the carbon source.  Molasses is a better carbon source to use in a pinch than dextrose (a.k.a. corn sugar) because molasses contains trace elements and vitamins.  You will need to add 1/4 tsp of DAP per liter as your nitrogen source.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 06:59:41 am »

Done it many times. I always have grain, sometimes no DME.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!