Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kottbusser  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
kottbusser
« on: November 05, 2014, 07:23:10 am »
Any thoughts?

59% pilsner
30% wheat
8% flaked oats

Added during fermentation
2% wildflower honey
1% molasses

WY1007?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: kottbusser
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 07:28:12 am »
Saw that in Zymurgy last issue and it looks interesting and fin to brew. Had never heard of it before.

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 07:49:57 am »
I'm going to brew one soon as well based on the recent article.  Looks like a very interesting style.  Goschman, your recipe looks good, although I'd have a slight concern that indeed any more than 0.5% molasses might be too much.  But maybe try the 1% anyway and see how it turns out?  This is a style also where I can see wanting to add a LOT more honey to it... like, would it be too far out of style to use 25% honey??  I might like to try that sometime.  Also, a good style to play with malted oats instead of flaked and see what that brings to the party.  Just thinking out loud.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 08:02:51 am »
I'm going to brew one soon as well based on the recent article.  Looks like a very interesting style.  Goschman, your recipe looks good, although I'd have a slight concern that indeed any more than 0.5% molasses might be too much.  But maybe try the 1% anyway and see how it turns out?  This is a style also where I can see wanting to add a LOT more honey to it... like, would it be too far out of style to use 25% honey??  I might like to try that sometime.  Also, a good style to play with malted oats instead of flaked and see what that brings to the party.  Just thinking out loud.

I did not see the Zymurgy article. I will take a look. I had a tasty commercial example recently and saw a recipe in radical brewing that peaked my interest.

These percentages were off the top of my head. I think the amount of molasses is only 2 oz but I am not sure what percentage that works out to with my other weights. The recipe I saw was 2 oz molasses and 2 oz honey. I doubled the amount of honey to 4 oz although I realize it may be imperceptible.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 08:23:54 am by goschman »

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 01:54:50 pm »
I've brewed the recipe from Radical Brewing. 

I can't remember if the recipe as written calls for the lighter colored molasses or the darker stuff, but from my experience I would say do not use the darker stuff. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline bhchrist

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 02:13:49 pm »
I brewed the Zymurgy recipe on Monday and added the honey + molasses at flame out. I used the White Labs 029 with a good sized starter and it is fermenting at 60 degrees. It is chugging away nicely. I am really interested to see what impact the small amount of sugars have on the finished beer along with the mouth feel from the oats.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 07:57:21 am »

I can't remember if the recipe as written calls for the lighter colored molasses or the darker stuff, but from my experience I would say do not use the darker stuff.

How did this turn out? Did you use a German ale yeast or a Kolsch yeast? I use WLP029 for about 3 different beers but have never used a German ale yeast like WY1007 so I thought I would give that a go. Also did you use the recommended hops?

I have a hard time buying hops that I don't regularly use so I was thinking just bittering with magnum and maybe some cascade/Willamette for later additions even though I realize that will take it out of 'style'. I have been meaning to purchase some saaz so maybe I will go that route...

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 08:18:33 pm »

How did this turn out? Did you use a German ale yeast or a Kolsch yeast? I use WLP029 for about 3 different beers but have never used a German ale yeast like WY1007 so I thought I would give that a go. Also did you use the recommended hops?

I have a hard time buying hops that I don't regularly use so I was thinking just bittering with magnum and maybe some cascade/Willamette for later additions even though I realize that will take it out of 'style'. I have been meaning to purchase some saaz so maybe I will go that route...

I brewed the recipe pretty much as written except I used dark molasses.  When that stuff ferments out, it leaves kind of tangy, sulfur character that I could do without.  I think you'll be happier if you use the lighter variety that the recipe calls for.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 07:08:30 am »

I brewed the recipe pretty much as written except I used dark molasses.  When that stuff ferments out, it leaves kind of tangy, sulfur character that I could do without.  I think you'll be happier if you use the lighter variety that the recipe calls for.

Thanks! I will give it a go here soon and just modify that recipe as planned. For some reason my lighter colored beers come out better than other styles so I think this could be tasty.

Offline mjtyson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 04:27:49 am »
I brewed this on 25 Jan. I followed the partial mash recipe. I had to convert the LME to DME (I'm stationed somewhere with limitations on liquids in the post). I got a 1.042 OG and here I am 6 days later and the gravity is 1.010.  Brewtoad guestimates 1.006.

It tasted...hmmm...don't know how to describe it. A not-crisp Kolsch? 

I'm going to test the gravity again on Tuesday and if it hasn't changed, I'll bottle.