General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Pitching rate effects (experimental results)

(1/10) > >>

a10t2:
I (and some very generous volunteers from the NB forum) recently conducted an experiment to determine what, if any, impact under-pitching would have on a beer. The results more or less conform to the conventional wisdom - slower fermentation, increased off-flavors, etc. I know a lot of people, especially new brewers, question the need for starters, and I think the tasters' results make a pretty persuasive case for using them.

Yeast Pitching Rate Results

tom:
That is fantastic. Thanks for the indepth analysis.

glitterbug:

--- Quote from: tom on May 10, 2010, 09:16:24 AM ---That is fantastic. Thanks for the indepth analysis.

--- End quote ---

+1000

richardt:
Thanks for the post.  It humbly reminds us that it is the yeast that make the beer.

I used to think doing a yeast starter was overkill (Erlenmeyer flasks, stir plates, test tubes, etc.) and an unnecessary expense.
I thought, "What's the difference if I pitch one cell or 100 Billion--it will eventually multiply and ferment the beer and finish the same?"

I was only half right--the FG finishes the same, but it doesn't taste the same. 
Use a starter to ensure you have enough healthy yeast to do the job right.

Now, I just need to get my fermentation fridge set up to ensure the yeast have optimal temperatures in which to do their work...

bluesman:
I experienced this first hand when I first started brewing many years ago. This is a testament to the fact.

Really nice work!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version