Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smaller All Grain Batches  (Read 5629 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Smaller Batches
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 08:46:46 am »
When I started out making very small batches in a standard small blue cooler with a Bazooka, I discovered the importance of keeping the Bazooka covered with grains at all times.  Otherwise it sucks air through (an absurd form of "channeling"!) and you can't get your wort out once that happens.  What I found is that I could use up to about 6.1 pounds of grain with no problems.  For any recipes requiring a mash of less grains then that, BIAB was the only option, at least with my setup.  YMMV
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 09:03:32 am »
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Online reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 10:55:58 am »
The difference in time between bottling five gallons and one gallon really isn't that significant. You're still spending the same amount of time cleaning and sanitizing equipment. The actual difference in time racking the additional gallons and bottling them isn't substantial. In my experience the difference is maybe twenty minutes between bottling a one gallon and a five gallon batch.

You'll see some variance in your beers as you learn to brew on a smaller scale, particularly if you acquire different equipment to accommodate the smaller batches. However, once you get past that learning phase your beers should be substantially similar at any size. I've brewed recipes at one gallon and five gallons and they are pretty much the same.

If the issue is that you don't think the beers you are brewing are great then it might be time to work on your process before you get into brewing more beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 11:30:22 am »
In my experience the difference is maybe twenty minutes between bottling a one gallon and a five gallon batch.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, or at least, it does not match my experience.  It takes me an extra 45-60 minutes to bottle 5 gallons as compared to 1.7 gallons.

Plus I'm old and fat and my back always hurts pretty bad after bottling 5 gallons.  So think about that as well if you're anything like me.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 11:52:20 am »
In my experience the difference is maybe twenty minutes between bottling a one gallon and a five gallon batch.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, or at least, it does not match my experience.  It takes me an extra 45-60 minutes to bottle 5 gallons as compared to 1.7 gallons.

Plus I'm old and fat and my back always hurts pretty bad after bottling 5 gallons.  So think about that as well if you're anything like me.
Agreed. The difference in time spent cleaning and sanitizing bottles isn't negligible, either. Nor is capping, depending on your procedure. And to the point about focusing on improving the OP's process, I think that's the whole point about considering smaller batches. Smaller batches allow you to brew more frequently, which gives you more practice at tightening up your brewing practices.

I brew 3 gallon batches myself, mainly because it allows me to brew more often. I started kegging last year to save on time spent bottling, but I agree that it doesn't save quite as much time as I had hoped.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 12:06:19 pm »
Given how fast I am at sanitizing bottles, the difference between 1 and 5 gallons is only a couple minutes.

Fill 5 gallon kettle half way with water/sanitizer. Take a bottle in each hand, dunk and let fill part way, cap ends with thumbs, shake, then put on bottle tree. Repeat. 5 minutes to sanitize enough bottles for 5 gallons. Twice as fast as the vinator and you don't have another crappy piece of equipment to break and deal with. My vinator broke, never worked properly, was difficult to prime, would collect too much foam from pumping sanitizer into bottles...annoying.

All the hate for bottling is unjustified. The only thing to whine about bottling over kegging that is legitimate, in my opinion, is the possibility for bottle bombs and over/under carbonation. Everything else is a moot point (as much as I hate using that term).
Jesse

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 12:22:28 pm »
I like your technique, beersk.  Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, for me, I get things like spiders and centipedes that crawl into my bottles over time, paper, old yeast sediment, etc.  I can't tell you how many times I've found things in my bottles that your technique would not have caught.

But would it work about 99% of the time?  You betcha!  Yeah, it could save me a lot of time.  I'll have to give this some more consideration.....
Dave

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 12:49:35 pm »
I like your technique, beersk.  Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, for me, I get things like spiders and centipedes that crawl into my bottles over time, paper, old yeast sediment, etc.  I can't tell you how many times I've found things in my bottles that your technique would not have caught.

But would it work about 99% of the time?  You betcha!  Yeah, it could save me a lot of time.  I'll have to give this some more consideration.....
I make sure to give the bottles I'm using a quick inspection before sanitizing. Otherwise, I see your point. Fortunately, I've never found any of that kinda crud in my bottles! HATE centipedes.... They're OH. SO. DISGUSTING.
Jesse

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 12:52:02 pm »
I get things like spiders and centipedes that crawl into my bottles over time, paper, old yeast sediment, etc. 

If you store your bottles upside down, that problem will disappear too.  8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 12:54:03 pm »
I've got about 500 old bottles in a big crate in my basement.

Once I found a fully intact centipede in a partially consumed bottle of beer.  The beer tasted just fine.  So, I drank it anyway.  I'm still alive.  True story!

:o  8)
Dave

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 12:59:39 pm »
For me it takes just as long to keg a batch as it did to siphon beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket when I was bottling.  Replace bottling bucket cleaning time with keg cleaning time. 
Time saved = however long it took me to wash, bottle brush, rinse and sanitize every bottle, along with the actual filling/capping time. 
I won't say I'll never do that again, but I will say that I don't miss it. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 01:01:10 pm »
For me it takes just as long to keg a batch as it did to siphon beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket when I was bottling.  Replace bottling bucket cleaning time with keg cleaning time. 
Time saved = however long it took me to wash, bottle brush, rinse and sanitize every bottle, along with the actual filling/capping time. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS.  No comparison.
Jon H.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 01:04:47 pm »
Once you have bottles that are clean/delabeled, they store nicely upside down in a standard case box. We just dust off the bottom of the bottle and get them sanitized on bottling day.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 02:05:06 pm »
You're doing it wrong.  :P
Jesse

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 02:07:44 pm »
You're doing it wrong. 
I doubt it.  Whether you clean/sanitize 50 bottles beforehand or not, cleaning 50 bottles takes longer than cleaning 0 bottles.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:09:16 pm by JT »