Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Great Weekend  (Read 3021 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Great Weekend
« on: February 01, 2015, 09:35:13 pm »
Hope everyone had a great weekend. I know I did. Friday night movie night in front of the fireplace with my wife and the kids sipping some homebrew. Saturday we celebrated the middle son's 14th birthday with all 5 of us(very rare). We had lunch at Skyline (his favorite) then we went to the range, I had forgotten how much is involved with teaching newbies firearms safety (and having 3 to teach meant not a lot of shooting but everyone had a blast. After the range we checked out some sights in Cincinnati while waiting to go see "Interstellar" at the cheap theater. Everyone came home and crashed after the 2 hours 40+ minute adventure. Sunday was beer day. I brewed 5.5G of English Style Barleywine, missing my OG of 1.103 by 3 points, I'll take that anyday. After the boil, I boiled up some priming sugar for the Special Bitter I needed to harvest yeast from for the Barleywine. Bottled that up during the game, along with a few brews to unwind: brewing and brewing chores from 10am till after 7, with several small breaks in there. Still need to clean up after the range yesterday, guess that will have to wait til tomorrow. :o
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Great Weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:50:13 am »
sounds like fun man.  i brewed german pils friday and spent the rest of the weekend pushing and throwing snow!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 04:55:16 am »
Great weekend. We had a birthday this weekend as well. I also had a chance to brew an Irish Ale.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 05:54:11 am »
Sounds great, Was Saturday the actual date of your son's birthday? My son turned 24 on Saturday. I'm looking forward to this coming weekend. I'm taking Thursday/Friday off because my birthday is Friday. On Friday we're going to the Valley ( Amherst/Northampton) and going to a nice hot tub place then going to Valley malt to buy some malt and hopefully talk a bit to the maltsers then hang out in Noho and check out shops and go to the brew pub. Then Chez Albert my favorite restaurant in Amherst. Saturday we're Celebrating my son's and my birthday, probably dinner here.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 06:05:17 am »
Hope everyone had a great weekend. I know I did. Friday night movie night in front of the fireplace with my wife and the kids sipping some homebrew. Saturday we celebrated the middle son's 14th birthday with all 5 of us(very rare). We had lunch at Skyline (his favorite) then we went to the range, I had forgotten how much is involved with teaching newbies firearms safety (and having 3 to teach meant not a lot of shooting but everyone had a blast. After the range we checked out some sights in Cincinnati while waiting to go see "Interstellar" at the cheap theater. Everyone came home and crashed after the 2 hours 40+ minute adventure. Sunday was beer day. I brewed 5.5G of English Style Barleywine, missing my OG of 1.103 by 3 points, I'll take that anyday. After the boil, I boiled up some priming sugar for the Special Bitter I needed to harvest yeast from for the Barleywine. Bottled that up during the game, along with a few brews to unwind: brewing and brewing chores from 10am till after 7, with several small breaks in there. Still need to clean up after the range yesterday, guess that will have to wait til tomorrow. :o

Congrats on the barleywine, too. Missing an 1.103 beer by only three points is pretty darn solid, considering that you often lose some efficiency on the big ones.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 10:34:51 am »
I brewed a style-absent brown ale on Saturday that I coolshipped and then added dregs from a couple sour beers consumed during the game. It's a one gallon batch made with small amounts of a few specialty malts left over from previous batches along with some pale malt. I'll see how it is in 9-12 months.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 11:50:05 am »
I brewed a style-absent brown ale on Saturday that I coolshipped and then added dregs from a couple sour beers consumed during the game. It's a one gallon batch made with small amounts of a few specialty malts left over from previous batches along with some pale malt. I'll see how it is in 9-12 months.
What did you use as a coolship? I've though about trying a small batch and using a large cake pan.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 12:19:16 pm »
What did you use as a coolship? I've though about trying a small batch and using a large cake pan.

In this case I just stuck the kettle outside with the lid off. It was a one gallon batch in a five gallon kettle so there was a good amount of surface to cool and catch whatever was floating around in that storm we had.

The last time I coolshipped a beer was a year ago and it was a larger batch. I ended up using several cake pans along with the kettle. It was ridiculously windy and cold that day. The beer was freezing after being outside for an hour or so. It's a very interesting beer right now. There's islands of yeast floating on the surface. They are hard and bubbly like misshapen saltine crackers. No pellicle though, which is surprising. The ph is in the mid-4 range and it tastes like a really weird hefeweizen. I don't think I got a good mixture of yeast and bacteria due to having to pull the beer back inside so quickly but the flavor is evolving so I'm just going to let it hang out and see what happens. I would not have a problem using cake pans again but I would do it on a night when it was in the 40s or 50s.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 12:19:26 pm »
Coolshipped?

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 03:57:53 pm »
I could coolship next time I plan on brewing, but it will just cool the wort, not many bugs and critters in the air here vs. TX.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 05:16:37 pm »
coolshipped, v: to innoculate wort naturally using a coolship.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCwQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FCoolship&ei=vP3PVPGNOIaUNuLqgoAC&usg=AFQjCNEy9MfSUwJLsLPSixl4ECB7B0M8qQ&bvm=bv.85076809,d.eXY
I always feel guilty when I do the barely less work of asking a question on the forum that results in someone clicking a couple more times than I was willing to do a Google search.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 05:56:37 pm »
I send these to my dad constantly. He still thinks that yahoo is his ISP since he uses the yahoo link on his desktop to open Firefox.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Coolship

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Great Weekend
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 05:59:10 pm »
I send these to my dad constantly. He still thinks that yahoo is his ISP since he uses the yahoo link on his desktop to open Firefox.

Oh that's a keeper...love it. How do you do that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Stevie

Great Weekend
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 06:10:49 pm »

Oh that's a keeper...love it. How do you do that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
http://bit.ly/u7O1ol

;)